Audio issues

I am having some issues with my audio system for which I have not been able to come up with a solution despite spending a lot of time trying various things to address it. So, I'll describe the issues and what I have tried in hopes that someone here may be able to, at least, point me towards a solution.

My system is a home-built (by me) Intel box with 16 GB of ram, three HDDs, a damaged Win10 system on one HDD (which I do not intend to repair), a FreeBSD 14.4 RELEASE-p9 system (which is my "daily driver" on a separate HDD, a 6TB drive (which, for the present, I am not using except for some storage, but which is formatted ZFS.

I am keeping my system updated by using an auto-update app, which may be at least part of my problem with audio and scanning.

I am using the Lumina desktop, and have various apps installed. If anyone here thinks it may be important, I will list those on request, but there is really nothing out of the ordinary installed.

So, concerning the audio issue:

On boot up, and then starting the desktop, as the desktop is loading, there is a momentary series of musical tones which is loud enough to hear clearly. However, once the entire system is up and running, audio from any source is too weak to hear even with powered speakers set at full volume.

To begin to correct this issue, I open xterm , then su - and input mixer pcm=1. This raises the volume enough to weakly hear audio. Then I must input sysctl hw.snd.vpc_0db=1, and finally I have audio output at what I would consider normal levels.

In an attempt to NOT have to input all this stuff each time I reboot the system, I edit /etc/sysctl.conf to include sysctl hw.snd.vpc_0db=1. However, this does nothing usefull. I suspect this is a result of the system not being fully active yet, and that command cannot be activated until after the system is fully up.

But even more annoying is that unless I have, say, music being played constantly (I often use the music available at http://www.sundaybaroque.org/listen/), after a period of NOT using the sound system, the levels revert back to the same weak level I get when I first modify the mixer settings, and in order to get my audio volume level back to the final setting above, I must reboot the system and input all the above settings again.

I am having a somewhat similar issue with scanning: I had originally successfully set up scanning with my local HP All-In-One via xsane and all that is required for it, but now THAT no longer works correctly either, which is another reason I suspect the auto-update app is causing at least some of my problems.

Might anyone here have any idea how to fix this issue, other than to get rid fo the auto-update app, which I intend to do asap.

Ken Gordon
 
Not sure about Lumina, but if it has any kind of audio volume control app (or applet), it could record the playback level (initially default) and restore on its startup. If so, trying to set via the app(let) possibly help.
The record could be per-device and/or per-apps playing sounds.
 
Back
Top