• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ATSC tuner cards?

`Orum

I'm looking to set up my own DVR for ATSC broadcasts here in the USA, but was hoping to do so on FreeBSD. I've looked through a few other threads on the topic here on the forums, but most of these reference tuner cards that are no longer sold. I was looking at the "Hauppage 1609 WinTV-quadHD", but I can't find any documentation from the manufacturer that tells me if this will is based on something covered by the bktr(4) driver or not.

Does anyone know if that card will work, or if not, one that will? Half height would be required as this would be going in a rack-mounted server.

`Orum

Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware of cx88 driver. I'd read your other posts on the subject of TV tuning and was actually looking for that card, but it seems the Hauppage 18X0 (1800 and 1850) are discontinued, and I can't find them for sale. The same appears to be case with the DViCO FusionHDTV 7 Dual Express, as they are listed as "sold out" as well on Newegg, and I don't see them listed at other US retailers.

I'm glad to see some older cards work, but I'd love to see some that are still available for purchase.

Edit: Did a little looking on the second-hand market for those cards, and although I can find the Hauppage 1800, it looks to be full height and thus won't fit in the 2U server. :(

Edit 2: Looking over at the Linux support for the 1609, it looks like it is at least based on similar hardware:
Code:
tveeprom 4-0050: audio processor is CX23888 (idx 40)
tveeprom 4-0050: decoder processor is CX23888 (idx 34)
However, it sounds like that is not enough to state that it would work with the cx88 driver, per se. Has anyone tried this card under FreeBSD?

Edit 3: I sit corrected. It looks like according to this page on their wiki that it probably is supported. What's unclear to me now though is if you can get anything other than MPEG-2 output from it, as I believe several of the stations here are using H.264. Ideally I'd like to just copy the transport stream directly without any reencoding. Is that possible?

Phishfry

Daemon

Looking at this other card you have, it really is a 3 part deal. You need tuner chip driver, demodulator driver and the multimedia bridge chip(cx88)
cx88 has support for some tuners but not all.

I don't recognize your tuner:
Code:
tuner model is SiLabs Si2157
The DVico card is half height. They are a bit rare on ebay I notice. Just keep your eyes open.

`Orum

Ah, so it may not work then. I have not yet purchased any cards, but I think for now I'll keep looking for a second hand DViCO then. I've heard they aren't as good as the Hauppage cards, but that's only based on anecdotal evidence, and it's more important to me that it works with FreeBSD.

Thanks again.

Edit: Discovered a thread at the Plex forums from someone who was trying to get the 1609 working under FreeBSD. It looks like Phishfry is correct that the tuner (and demodulator) are not supported, at least as of September of last year.

Phishfry

Daemon

There is also the issue of 'firmware' needed for each device. The cx88 builds it in for its supported devices.