Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller

Hello, I've a new laptop (a noname without preinstalled OS from a french compagny)

I've installed
uname -a
FreeBSD moyen 11.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 11.0-BETA1 #0 r302412:

Many things are working out of the box. Xorg work with the VESA driver but pciconf said that it's an intel graphic card. X -configure has the same diagnostic.

pciconf say :
device = 'Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller'
(Attached full pciconfg -lv log)

But when I try to use the intel driver, Xorg failed with a "(EE) no screens found(EE)" (see attached Xorg log).

Any advice ?

Best

Attachments

• pciconf-lv.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 604
  • Xorg.0.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 559
For the record, this is a LDLC laptop : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00206243.html
The processor is recognized as:
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3150  @ 1.60GHz (1600.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x406c3  Family=0x6  Model=0x4c  Stepping=3
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
   Features2=0x43d8e3bf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,RDRAND>

AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
AMD Features2=0x101<LAHF,Prefetch>
  Structured Extended Features=0x2282<TSCADJ,SMEP,ERMS,NFPUSG>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
I've used GENERIC amd64 kernel but I was not sure about that. Is it possible that the intel driver does not work in this situation ?

I've no xorg.conf, only one file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (for a French keyboard).

Vesa work correctly, scfb does not, with the same error (EE) no screens found(EE) than the intel driver.

The Celeron N3150 is very new, released in 2015. Does the system have UEFI? If so, it still might be possible to use scfb. Otherwise, you might be stuck with vesa until the newer drivers are ported.

Yes, this laptop is uefi capable, but I've not tried UEFI.

I think that I'll stay on vesa since I imagine that UEFI and scfb does not provide more features than the current configuration ? (no 2D/3D acceleration, no other features )

Just for my information, is there an easy way to go a "standard installation" (Bios boot + vesa) to a UEFI + scfb ? Or does it need a full reinstallation ?

Thank you for your help !

The Celeron N3150 is very new, released in 2015. Does the system have UEFI? If so, it still might be possible to use scfb. Otherwise, you might be stuck with vesa until the newer drivers are ported.

I have a Zotac ZBOX CI323 with the same processor/graphics installed today with FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p2. Installing the scfb driver indeed brought graphics to work. I hope there will be an accelerated driver for it soon.

An Intel compute stick(STK1AW32SC) with Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8330 which has the same vga adapter can boot FreeBSD-12-CURRENT from UEFI and the X server works fine with driver scfb. Unfortunately, the new drm-next-kmod-g20171006 does not works on it.

Back