atheros wifi in hostap mode issues (and `sysctl dev.ath`)

So, it's a long story.

First, I tried OpenBSD with their athn driver to have a wireless AP. I set it up, but I started getting constant disconnects. The AP would stop broadcasting signal after a few minutes. The moment I would cycle the wireless interface up/down I could connect again. There was no way to troubleshoot it, really, and I would not even get an error message usually...sometimes it would say 'device timeout' but usually just stop working.

Then, today I installed FreeBSD for the first time and got the wireless AP working. It is working better than on OpenBSD, but I am getting some "missing beacon" resets, although they don't cause me to lose connectivity most of the time. What I got one time so far this evening was the AP becoming unresponsive but connected at the same time (weird, right?).

The amazing thing I discovered is the `sysct dev.ath` thingie where you can get error statistics on the device. So now my question is where can I share that statistics to troubleshoot the device when trouble arises? I'm already seeing a bunch of error counters having nonzero values. And maybe some of them are transmission errors due to interference but some are not. Is it possible to have someone check the output of `sysctl dev.ath` for significant information?

Back