Atheros QCA6174 driver

Hello FreeBSD forums! I'd love to make the switch to BSD as a current Linux user. However, my laptop is an Acer Aspire R5-571T-57Z0 and I can't seem to find the correct drivers. I know that in the installation of Debian, I had to grab extra firmware files. In looking around elsewhere, I found that I wouldn't be able to use the firmware files on BSD without having the drivers. When I boot into FreeBSD from USB to see if I can connect to wifi, the hardware isn't listed when using the "sysctl net.wlan.devices" command. I know that I probably should have done more searching before posting this question, but the answers I found weren't helpful. Please excuse my limited knowledge on the subject, everyone must start somewhere.

Boot FreeBSD again and post the output of pciconf -lv. So we can see what kind of hardware your machine has. The command will show everything, even the things that aren't detected by FreeBSD.

Device 1: Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th gen core processor host bridge/DRAM Registers
Device 2: HD Graphics 620
Device 3: Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
Device 4: Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem
Device 5&6: Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller
Device 7: Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI
Device 8: Sunrise ... SATA Controller AHCI mode
Device 9: Sunrise ... PCI Express Root Port
Device 10: [???]
Device 11: Sunrise ... LPC Controller
Device 12: Sunrise ... PMC
Device 13: Sunrise ... HD Audio
Dev 14: Sunrise ... SMBus
Dev 15: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac

Erm, we would need everything. Especially the class, card and chip identification numbers.

Thank you. It looks like I'll need to build the drivers first then FreeBSD from source. I have limited experience building from source, other than the Weston compositor and my own little C++ programs. My next hop might be a Linux From Scratch system before FreeBSD. Thanks for the information, I had been searching for that exact thing for days to no avail. I'm sorry to have you do my dirty work.

Give this a try, and feedback is welcomed by developer. He posted request for testing in one of the FreeBSD's Facebook groups.

Hello, it looks like you will need the FreeBSD-CURRENT development release and even then, it is not guaranteed to work . Do you know if installing the driver you referred to, will the wireless device work?

Back