Atheros AR9285 Wireless

Hi. I've tried doing more research on my issue that I've been having with my card but I seem to only have found one thing which is: "Upgrade to FreeBSD 8-STABLE" which I have tried and did not fix the issue.

I installed FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE onto my laptop the other day and when I try to setup wireless when I reboot to use the card I start to see:

Code:
ath0: hardware error; resetting
ath0: 0x00000000 0x00002000 0x00000000, 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

Which occurs every few seconds.

My card is an Atheros AR9285 (AR928X)
pciconf -lv output:
Code:
ath0@pci0:2:0:0:	class=0x028000 card=0x3040103c chip=0x002b168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device     = 'Atheros AR9285 Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n Controller (AR928x)'
    class      = network

'Upgrading to FreeBSD 8-STABLE' and 'installing FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE' are two very different things. I am not au courant with the development of this particular driver, but it may have received a significant update (e.g. improvements merged back from the 9-CURRENT development tree) since FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE was rolled out. So the suggestion to try FreeBSD 8-STABLE is probably still a valid one.

brenden1096 said:
I was being led on believing that there is no FreeBSD X-STABLE iso available
To be honest, I didn't know that either. But once you have a running FreeBSD system (which includes 8.2-RELEASE) you can track -STABLE through csup() (formerly cvsup) or ctm(). More information is in this chapter of the handbook. The first part is about -CURRENT, which is most likely not for you, but the second part explains how to track -STABLE. In fact, once you're on -STABLE you'll probably want to keep tracking it until the next -RELEASE rolls out.

Fonz

Well I am done installing FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE and I have configured my wireless device and I am now seeing the same error even more..it particularly starts when I run
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up scan
and it repeats its self maybe every 2-3 seconds I would say. But bringing wlan0 down stops it.

I found something interesting...when I just thought I'd press the wireless button (normally turns my wireless device on/off) and I then ran
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up scan
and now it hasn't displayed any errors! That to me is the weirdest issue I've seen.

Well. Forget that..I think that was a bit of a false alarm. Rebooting and running
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up scan
just sits there until I press the button then it starts the error all over again but it then displays local networks around the laptop.

I ran dmesg | grep "ath0" and when I ran it I got in return

Code:
ath0: <Atheros 9285> mem 0x90100000-0x9010ffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: AR9285 mac 192.2 RF5133 phy 14.0

I have no clue what to do some here. I see that one person said get the latest -HEAD (but i really have no clue what/how to get that since I've never encountered that before on FreeBSD.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

You'll have to be a list member or your email may bounce, or you'll never see the replies.

Back