Asus EeePC 901 - how's it looking?

I've been tinkering over the past day or two and I've learned that 8-CURRENT is working better than 7-STABLE in general. In this case, though, I was able to get carrier with 8-CURRENT when I connected to a hundred-megabit switch instead of a gigabit switch. Maybe there's a bug in the driver? I don't know how to test any further than I already have.

Also, it'd be keen if the wireless worked. The whole reason I upgraded my home infrastructure to 802.11n/gigabit was in anticipation of this device -- and I've already handed down the old 802.11g/hundred-megabit to the girlfriend so... :) Who do I talk to about the wireless stuff? I'll cheerfully test anything needed.

I may have responded about this in another place, but ale0 only seems to get a 100baseTX connection even when connected directly to a gigabit switch. This came after updating to 8-CURRENT so it might be the driver. Any idea why it might not like gigabit?

On my EEE I keep my /usr/src and /usr/ports on an external usb stick. That way I can use the portstree without having to use up alot of the small SSD drive and don´t have it being written to many times.

Hello...

I hope you can help me.

After a long time i wanted to try FreeBSD (7.1) again, so i installed it on my eeePC 901.

I kept my Windows at the first SSD, and installed the netinstaller and get the Data (/base.. etc.) from the freebsd directory on a Flash Card.. until then no problem.

But there is no network. No LAN, No WLAN

I have read in the FreeBSD wiki about the eee, but i dont know how to get the driver working.. i tried to replace the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC with the EEE_HEAD and tried to make buildcompiler, but he don't know the option "AH_SUPPORT_AR5416" and stopped..
I also read at nighthack.org (site error 500, but there is the google cache). But i didnt get the network working...

I dont know so much about freebsd, so some things i dont know how to do and i tried the entire last 2 days...

Has anyone a detailed how to for the networkdrivers ?

Sorry if there are mistakes, but im not so good with english.

As it says in nighthack:

On another computer that does have internet access, download this patched copy of MadWifi, which does have support for the wireless card in the Eee: http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz

Copy the tarball onto the Eee using a USB memory key or some other media. Decompress the tarball and then run the following as root:

cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007/hal
cp -R * /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/

Recompile your kernel, and reboot. When the system comes up, you should have wireless networking. The NIC will show up as ath0. Note that compiling the kernel will probably take about two hours. Go get some coffee or something.

I need to do this for my Ethernet card (not wireless). But if you install 8.0 instead you don´t have to do any kernel rebuild, it supports HAL.

that i've already done, but no ath0

but i never compiled a kernel befor..
maybe i have done something wrong..

Thats what i've done
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel

See /usr/src/Makefile for instructions.

Code:
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'

Yes, you can use the HAL under FreeBSD and Linux.

Back