Assistance Required: System Stuck at mountroot> Prompt After Editing /boot/loader.conf

Hi Friends,

I'm running FreeBSD version 14.0. After editing `/boot/loader.conf` and rebooting, my machine is stuck at the `mountroot>` prompt, unable to find the ZFS root filesystem.

Typically, a reboot allows the option to enter single user mode, where I can modify `/boot/loader.conf`. However, this time, it's not accepting the correct device path `ufs:/dev/gpt/efiboot0`, which I've successfully used on other servers and verified against the `/etc/fstab` file.

Attempting to boot into single user mode using option 2 or 's/S' simply returns me to the `mountroot>` prompt, likely because it cannot find the root filesystem.

I would like to avoid a full reinstallation of FreeBSD on my server. Could someone guide me through the steps to replace the current `loader.conf` with the original backup, or is cloning the disk from another server running the same version (14.0) a recommended approach?

Any step-by-step assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-sharsha

1. Boot from usb memstick and go to Live CD mode, root without password
2. mkdir /tmp/zroot
3. zpool import -N -R /tmp/zroot zroot
4. zfs mount zroot/ROOT/default
4. edit or replace /tmp/zroot/boot/loader.conf
5. shutdown -r now

unable to find the ZFS root filesystem.
[...]
it's not accepting the correct device path `ufs:/dev/gpt/efiboot0`
This is kind of a contradiction.

In the default root-on-ZFS configuration created by the installer, the root-fs (for the default boot environment) is zfs:zroot/ROOT/default. If you have a different pool name or even a completely different layout, you should probably know about this because then you have created it yourself instead of just using what the installer creates...

However, this time, it's not accepting the correct device path `ufs:/dev/gpt/efiboot0`
Wrong path, that's the boot code, you're already in it. It needs the actual filesystem to boot from. Besides that, the efi partition is FAT, not UFS.

Back