Are you a hobbyist?

Is FreeBSD your hobby?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 30996

I don't have a hobby anymore.

I moved to Linux from Win98 as a means of survival online and keep my Sub7 savvy chat m8tes at bay. I started using BSD in 2005 and have them to thank for inspiration. And I would, personally, but they already know it and won't speak to me anymore.

My hobby used to be customizing Hot Wheels diecast cars using only rattlecan spray paint, tape and technique for the paint job.

This is a Custom "Balwin Motion" Camaro I saw a picture of once done with a can of red and white Rust-Oleum spray paint and tape.

Balwin_Motion_Camaro01.jpg
Balwin_Motion1.jpg

Balwin_Motion04.JPG

A Custom Camaro Heatwave "fade" paint job using cans of white, yellow and red Rust-Oleum spray paint and technique I developed and painted in my kitchen.

Camaro_Heatwave.jpg

A Custom Honda S2000 done with a can of blue Rust-Oleum, flat black Walmart spray paint and tape.
Godzilla.jpg

This is not a straight forward question.

Primarily, I use Freebsd as a tool for my profession.

Additionally, some aspects of Freebsd for my desktop, I treat as a hobby.

Certainly don't want a poke in the eye.

So I assume I am in the 'other' category.

It was my livelihood for years but now I guess it's just a hobby.

I agree that it's a bit of a trick question. For an ever-growing number of people, computers have become a part of their lives. Like telephones, pencils, flashlights, and car keys, computers have become more and more like essential everyday tools.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Sort of. I use FreeBSD as general computing operating system without dual boot. My hobby is retrocomputing, I have a modest collection of old computers so you can say that using computers is my hobby.

I turned my hobby into a source of income. Still like to tinker with computers for the fun of it, from old school 8 bit systems to modern 64 bit monsters and everything in between. I just like learning things while I play around with it. And the knowledge gained from that is useful in work related situations.

Whilst I use FreeBSD a lot for work, I would also say that it is my hobby or at the very least it facilitates my hobby (which is computing).

My hobby used to be customizing Hot Wheels diecast cars using only rattlecan spray paint, tape and technique for the paint job.
Those cars are quite small. How did you manage to get the large spray can nozzle to be so accurate?

I turned my hobby into a source of income. Still like to tinker with computers for the fun of it, from old school 8 bit systems to modern 64 bit monsters and everything in between. I just like learning things while I play around with it. And the knowledge gained from that is useful in work related situations.
I think you said better what I meant. :D

Yes, a hobby.
Using OpenOffice and stuff at work wouldn't be a good idea. I use Windows for work.
I use Android on my tablet.

Technology is my hobby, I love to tinker with my computers, phones, tablets. I use a variety of operating systems (BSD, Linux, Windows). I retired in 2016 so I have the time to indulge my technolgy obsessions. I enjoy computing a lot.

The straightforward answer: no, I don't have a hobby.

Before car accident, I was playing guitar. I couldn't say it was a hobby, because I used it (along some DAW projects) to teach music theory in few private classes.
When it comes to computers, windows and FreeBSD: I was just curious to know how they work; on my free times -- mostly afternoons (I'm a blue collar worker).

Maybe one thing counts as a hobby though. After dropping out of mathematics university (the 3rd year), I've continued to do one thing, which I'm doing it since the age of 16, and I like it very much: to study mathematics from 4:00 to 6:00 o'clock in the mornings. I've tried to not skip any signle day (I've failed several times!). But I'm not sure if reading counts as a hobby. That's why I answered that "I don't have a hobby."!

For me the definition of a hobby is spending of time where there is no immediate,direct financial revenue.
This holds for different I.T. parts for me including but not limited to freebsd.

What is way of life ? Sitting before a screen with pixels ? One colored red, one colored green, one colored blue. Way of life is unknown to me ...
Maybe you can enlighten me.
I was grown up with a commodore 64, and a TRS pocket from Tandy.
Move a zero into the accumulator ...

Well, (i quote Wikipedia) "computer science is the study of algorithmic processes, computational machines and computation itself".
Which doesn't necessarily mean you need a computer for it.

My brain works with Boolean algebra:

All i do, see, feel is binary.
Either 0 or 1, black or white, joyful or sorrowful, you get the idea.
Programming changed my way to think: I need to solve a problem? I break it down to smaller problems, etc.

I could go on but i don't want to bore you.

My main point was that people who aren't Professionals are oft times referred to as Hobbyist. That's why the first answer is Yes, FreeBSD is my hobby. I did include computers and other computer OS as a choice. I should have put "collect Russian watches".

Other was for the "I have a hobby but it's not one of these" BB Stacker Brigade. I was probably closer to collecting Thinkpads as a hobby and installing FreeBSD than I considered using FreeBSD a hobby.

My Ozark Operative relayed "Hobbyist" was the crowd tested keyword most effective in evoking the subliminal mental image of a "Stamp Collector" in research funded by the Fine Corporation in the Ultimate Plan of drhowarddfine to further define Professionals from, come on, say it now, "Hobbyist".

Those cars are quite small. How did you manage to get the large spray can nozzle to be so accurate?

I used tape to mark off the Balwin Motion and painted red first, taped it off and sprayed white. I had seen a picture of it as a model while at Hobby Hut getting tape. I used tape on the Honda, flat black first then tape it off and spray blue.

The Heatwave fade is a technique I came up with using the plastic bubble on the card that holds the car to block off parts while painting from the back to the front. Red, yellow and white moving the bubble forward to protect what you just painted.

Yes, they are small:

IMG_3240.JPG

Japan_Fades.jpg

Skyline.jpg

Get some Nissan Skylines in for International appeal. That's freehand silver to black fade.
Taking a good shot of them to post on the Hot Wheels forums was half of the fun. I knew when the Sun came round my side of the building and would try to make it look like a photo of a full sized car with perspective.

I'm not as good a photographer as I used to be. Cleaning up the overspray mess I made painting in the Kitchen not something I want to do twice.

Trihexagonal I used to say FreeBSD was for professionals and "serious amateurs" but someone got offended by calling them an amateur. "Hobbyist" doesn't really fit the bill for some people who really know their stuff but only do this as a hobby. I just can't think of a proper term (not that I tried).
Actually, I find "serious amateurs" a pretty funny statement.

Trihexagonal I used to say FreeBSD was for professionals and "serious amateurs" but someone got offended by calling them an amateur. "Hobbyist" doesn't really fit the bill for some people who really know their stuff but only do this as a hobby. I just can't think of a proper term (not that I tried).
"Amateur" just means you don't get paid for doing the thing. By that definition, Einstein was an amateur physicist when he wrote his paper on Special Relativity. I dunno why someone would be offended by being put in that company.

Using FreeBSD is one of my hobbies.
This time, I am focused on the Jaguar X Type 2.5l as my first renovation car (maybe the last ?). The goal is to evaluate my skills to buy an older car.

I work in the computer industry, and have done that for the last ~25 years. None of my work has anything to do with FreeBSD.

Why do I maintain my own home server / NAS, and waste time making it work well (which implies using an operating system I consider good)? Because tinkering with things is my hobby.

Computers always were a bit of a hobby for me since the mid-80's
Wrote my first Database in BASIC on a C64.
I'm more of a "tinkerer" than anything professional, but i have collected/developed some skills with computers (mainly software, hardware still sounds like greek to me).

As for "other" hobbies: I'm the singer in a hobby Heavy-Metal-Band and a skydiver, which is my ultimate passion.
If you're interested in some videos give a shout

Back