Solved Are there any ways to view lz4-archives in FreeBSD?

I can "browse" zip files with mc, but i need the same for lz4. For example, i have ~1Gb archive, and i want to extract a few separate little files.

Maybe good old tar can do it. On FreeBSD this uses libarchive, so I can even use it to "tar tf something.iso" to check what is on that CD image without using loopback mounting and such.

lz4() should do it.

But browse and uncompress single files from it.... as I understand the manpage, not possible.
-> complete uncompress (1G is not that much)
-> get your files
-> compress/archive in another(better) format

Since tar can handle nearly all compression formats, Crivens' idea was good, but as its manpage says tar can compress to lz4, only, not uncompress it (don't ask me why; it's what I get from the manpage).

That smells awfully like a data lock in, if it was some half-commercial software.
See, out FREE software can compress your data like THIS! Now, to uncompress it again, may I interest you ....
But why tar does it like this, I have no idea.

Ach, ye 'ave tae ask the Kelda whut eldritch blethers those mudlins 'ad haggled.

Supplement:
I'm not crystal what tar's man page really means.
It also can be understood as the option to use lz4 only in c(ompress) mode does not neccessarily means tar cannot uncompress it, since its manpage also says tar will automatically recognize if an archive is compressed with lz4.
And by lz4's man- and wikipediapage lz4 seems to be relativley young and it's under BSD license, I'd wonder if it would work only oneway.

hasculdr, did tar the job for you?

I have found out that i just need a complex file extension, like *.tar.lz4, and mc is able to browse it. And thanks for the warning about files extraction, but i'm able to do it with
tar -xf test.tar.lz4 -C testdir
and i can "browse" the archive with mc and extract separate files (i created this archive with tar --use-compress-program=lz4 -cvf test.tar.lz4 ./).

I think your previous last post brought the real value to this thread.

Back