Are new users on probation here? If so, it might be best to up front about that.

I have just recently joined. I received an old iBook G4 from a friend who hoped I could help him set it up. So, after researching, I felt FreeBSD would be the best choice. Thus, I came here, and posted a couple of questions on stuff, like getting WiFi working, or issues with installing X.Org (still working on that). But, I found every time I started a new thread, I was notified that it was under review and not visible to the public until a moderator could review it. Then, when the new thread was approved, and I got an answer, I couldn't respond, because, again, my response would be under review. It has not been helpful to trying to figure out how to fully install FreeBSD on the iBook G4 (in spite of that, I did get the WiFi set up).

I did receive a message from an administrator about proper etiquette and proper formatting. The formatting thing was helpful. From my experience in past forums I do make sure to use code tags, but there were some new tags in this forum that I was unaware of, such as the command or file tags. I've dutifully made sure to try my best to utilize these. Yet still, my posts are flagged for moderation.

And that is fine, since I'm new. However, I would like to suggest that if new users are to have their posts flagged for consideration by a moderator, regardless of whether they're politely asking for help while actively working on installing FreeBSD or not, that they at least are told from the beginning that this is what will happen. In other words, notification to the new user about such a policy would be helpful. Otherwise, it can just lead to wonderment on behalf of the new user regarding the ethos of the forum.

However, I would like to suggest that if new users are to have their posts flagged for consideration by a moderator, regardless of whether they're politely asking for help while actively working on installing FreeBSD or not, that they at least are told from the beginning that this is what will happen.

When I submitted my first reply to this forum (a day or two ago) a message displayed which cleary stated that my submission would not be visible to the public until it was approved by a moderator. No surprises. After reading that clear message I then knew what to expect as a new forum member. This policy of approving new member posts is one I've found on other forums.

But you're relying on inference rather than policy. I'm asking for the latter rather than the former.

I don't understand... your posts aren't going anywhere, someone will, eventually, answer your questiones: are you in a hurry? :)
It's clearly a feature to keep the forum free of spammers or impolite people.

He's not asking that the policy be rescinded. He's asking for it to be more prominently displayed to new users such that there is no ambiguity about its enforcement or the reasons it exists. He's aware that his posts aren't going anywhere. He's not in a hurry. He feels it'd be helpful, more welcoming even, to new users to have the policy presented to them, to read and acknowledge, prior to being subject to it. What's there to not understand?

Back