Are FreeBSD developers ever going to start focusing on user facing stuff?

da1 said:
I think/hope it will speed things up (regardless if it's desktop or server) because for instance one can have a server without a specific NIC driver, just as the same user can have laptop X without a certain video driver. So I think the door swings both ways here.

Ok so is there a thread/discussion/web page for this idea of yours other than this thread? I'm asking because I'm interested in it.

Not at the moment but I think a new thread with this subject would be worth while. I think the first big (or huge) discussion will be what are the missing functionalities that are required by most users.

da1 said:
Not at the moment but I think a new thread with this subject would be worth while. I think the first big (or huge) discussion will be what are the missing functionalities that are required by most users.

The emacs and the vi team are running their warm up rounds already ;)

The most important thing is choice, and that requires different options to choose from. So in order to help the desktop, you need to provide options. Not like all colors, as long as it is black.

da1 said:
Agreed. When I will have a bit more I will create a thread and we can then see what most people require.

I think it might be a better idea to start a thread about how to approach this. If you start a thread and ask what people want that might end up very chaotic and resulting in no result.

You need a system for voting (forum poll is not adequate for this IMO), assigning priorities and deciding what will be funded with this money. Also I think a discussion about where to draw the line in terms of what can be suggested/asked and ultimately added to the poll is also in order.

Also lets assume there is a dedicated web page (or something like that) for this cause, someone will have to take on the whole administration part of the idea (handling money, finding a developer etc.) and that can be time consuming.

I think it's not as simple as start a thread and ask what people want but in general it's a great idea that might work out if enough people show interest (people that want to work on this idea not just vote/donate).

Anyway, pleas send me a PM if you ever start this thread so I don't miss it.

Back