Yes. I did.
For my son's theatre company in Chicago, he needed a way to make it look like an actor was carrying a metal bucket with a small fire in it. The "fire" had to start on cue at a certain point and, later, glow brighter when the actor added more fuel to the fire.
What I did was use a receive module that cost only about $2 and plugged it into the Arduino. Inside the bucket was a few LED light bulbs that were yellow enough to look like fire (fortunately). The audio guy had a car key fob and, on cue, would press a button that would start up the program in the bucket and light up the LEDs to about 60% at a flickering rate. When the actor added more lighter fluid to the bucket, the audio guy would click another button on the key fob which would bring it up to 100%, simulating an increase in fire intensity.
If I have a chance, I'll look for the video I took in my basement of a test.
Anyway, I'll also see what links I still have.