Approaching the limit on PV entries

hi

I have newest FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE installed and get a lot of these messages:
Code:
Feb 26 22:55:16 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
Feb 26 22:58:16 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
Feb 26 22:59:51 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
Feb 26 23:01:26 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
Feb 26 23:03:42 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
Feb 26 23:06:15 srzhvbsd01 kernel: Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max tunable.
I was fighting with this problem on other machines, but didn't find a solution.

trh411 said:
It's always the same problem, different version of FreeBSD. What is really going on here?

This problem I had before on other machines running on different locations.
On all these machines was squid installed.
Perhaps squid generates this problem?

ccc said:
trh411 said:
It's always the same problem, different version of FreeBSD. What is really going on here?

This problem I had before on other machines running on different locations.
On all these machines was squid installed.
Perhaps squid generates this problem?
So in all these years no one has been able to offer a solution to this problem? Interesting -- an insoluable problem that follows you wherever you go. :)

How about show the output of uname -a for starters. Might also be instructive to see the output of dmesg so we can see the hardware side of things. Please paste the output to pastebin and provide us with a link.

In this same topic for FreeBSD-7.3 you posted:
ccc said:
I added the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
vm.pmap.pde.mappings=68
vm.pmap.shpgperproc=500
vm.pmap.pv_entry_max=1743504
and now this problem seems to be solved.
You never posted to the topic after that, so did it is not clear whether it resolved the issue or not? If not then, have you tried this on FreeBSD-10.0?

trh411 said:
In this same topic for FreeBSD-7.3 you posted:
ccc said:
I added the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
vm.pmap.pde.mappings=68
vm.pmap.shpgperproc=500
vm.pmap.pv_entry_max=1743504
and now this problem seems to be solved.
You never posted to the topic after that, so did it is not clear whether it resolved the issue or not? If not then, have you tried this on FreeBSD-10.0?

Sorry, it was not stopped completely, just for a while, I thought it was solved, but unfortunately not.

Anyway, I will try to put these entries in /boot/loader.conf :

Code:
vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled="1"
vm.pmap.pde.mappings="68"
vm.pmap.shpgperproc="2000"
vm.pmap.pv_entry_max="3000000"

Have you tried using super pages by including:
Code:
vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled=1
in /boot/loader.conf? You will have to reboot for it to take effect.

Back