cracauer@
Developer
This is pretty cool. Expand your ZRAID or mirror with uneven size disks and more:
View: https://youtu.be/mZ-dhntnkCQ?t=509
Music is too annoying. Unwatchable.
In addition, after registering, I got an invite for FreeBSD After Hours AMA:Apologies for the music.
There is a webinar on this tomorrow if you want a fresh feed:
![]()
Understanding AnyRAID: Architecture, Use-Cases, and Tradeoffs - Klara Systems
Join Allan Jude and Jon Panozzo to learn how AnyRAID mixed-drive storage unlocks more usable ZFS capacity, flexible pool expansion, and efficient mixed-disk layouts.klarasystems.com
I think, these AMA's, will also appear later and be generally available, anyhow this should allow one to be there live as well.Join our post-conference
BSD discussion on June 30, 2026.
Following BSDCan 2026, Allan Jude and Kyle Evans are hosting a live Ask Me Anything session to break down the biggest FreeBSD, OpenZFS, and infrastructure announcements from the conference.
Bring your questions — this is an open discussion built for engineers in production environments.
You are watching a recording of the live stream. The individual talks will be posted as separate videos once the team of volunteers has time to cut the recordings and stitch the feeds together etc.They really need to add chapters to their videos for each talk. It’s a pain in the a** to scroll a long video and wait for buffering just to skip forward or backwards to the talk I want to watch. Don’t just dump the entire stream and forget it.
Organizers. Fix this.
In the case of a rounding error of difference, ZFS already does the right thing, as its metaslabs are all the same size, usually 16 GB, so any fractional remainder won't get used and won't cause a problem if the new drive is a few sectors shorter.I think this is rather intriguing. In general, it's probably always going to be a bit better to have drives that are basically the same size, however, this does help a bit when that's not the same case, such as when there's a slight mismatch in capacity between drives of the "same" size that aren't exactly due to rounding errors or if you want to replace a couple drives with larger disks while saving up/allowing for replication before placing the remainders in there.
It's been a while since I tried, but I thought that only applied when creating a new mirror/array. It might be my memory, but I didn't think that ZFS was so considerate when replacing a failed drive with one that rounded to be a bit shorter.In the case of a rounding error of difference, ZFS already does the right thing, as its metaslabs are all the same size, usually 16 GB, so any fractional remainder won't get used and won't cause a problem if the new drive is a few sectors shorter.
My takeaways (mostly non-technical) and datapoints from the OP's referenced BSDCan 2026 presentation by Allan Jude, and additionally the Klara webinar, some of which have only been mentioned in the webinar:There is a webinar on this tomorrow if you want a fresh feed:
https://klarasystems.com/webinars/understanding-anyraid-architecture-use-cases-tradeoffs/
We did RAID-Z mode as well, it is a second pull request (still in code review though, no promises there won't be changes before the final version lands)FWIW, I wanted to deploy AnyRaid to production yesterday, but it turns out they only implemented AnyMirror at this time, not Anyraidz<x>. I am still curious, but for that specific array the data just wouldn't fit in mirror mode.
It depends if the rounding crosses that 16 GiB barrierIt's been a while since I tried, but I thought that only applied when creating a new mirror/array. It might be my memory, but I didn't think that ZFS was so considerate when replacing a failed drive with one that rounded to be a bit shorter.
ZFS does, but if you have 2x 8T disks, and 3x 12T disks, RAID-Z would lose you 12T of space. AnyRAID would let you keep most of that.You can solve the problem of mismatched drives though partitioning them, AnyRAID seems like overkill for that.
I don't know why ZFS doesn't just take a small amount off the size of the smallest device before doing its calculation.
Oh.We did RAID-Z mode as well, it is a second pull request (still in code review though, no promises there won't be changes before the final version lands)
![]()
Anyraid phase 2; raidz, rebalance, and contraction by pcd1193182 · Pull Request #18406 · openzfs/zfs
Note: only the final 4 commits are part of this review, all previous commits are part of #17567 , which is a prerequisite for this PR. Sponsored by: Eshtek, creators of HexOS Sponsored by: Klara, I...github.com
It includes RAID-Z, "contract" (remove a disk from a RAID-Z as long as your RAID stripe is narrow enough), and "rebalance" to even out the free space across VDEVs.