Anyone have video chat via Facebook or hangouts working?

Provided that you have a webcam working (that is saying that you get a preview with multimedia/pwcview), has anybody ever been able to use the video chat function of Facebook or hangouts? I have tried to establish that kind of connections with people, but in hangouts, when the other person accepts the call, I only get a never ending "Connecting...". Also there is only a green square where I think I should see myself, but maybe that also only works once you are connected?

It seems that net-im/skype4 should work on CURRENT with video support.
I can confirm that it works but I did not test video.

That makes sense, as 11-CURRENT is supposed to have the newer linuxulator c7, right?
If so, I wonder why the new linuxulator cannot be used in 10.2 as a port that could be provided, soon, instead of having to wait until the 11-RELEASE...

As to hangouts, I believe that the plugin used to be necessary, but not anymore with the chrome browser, which seems to be integrated now.

But can any of you guys who have a webcam working check it out with facebook and see what happens and report?

That makes sense, as 11-CURRENT is supposed to have the newer linuxulator c7, right?
If so, I wonder why the new linuxulator cannot be used in 10.2 as a port that could be provided, soon, instead of having to wait until the 11-RELEASE...
As I understand there is something more than newer linuxulator needed to get skype4 working on FreeBSD. Maybe additional kernel functions.

The Linux ports provide only shared libraries and binaries, they don't add any kernel functionality because all of the Linux compatibility layer is implement by the linux(4) kernel module. In order to get something working that requires the Linuxator from 11-CURRENT there's no other option than to use 11-CURRENT. I don't think anyone even considers backporting it to earlier versions of FreeBSD.

I don't think anyone even considers backporting it to earlier versions of FreeBSD.

PR 201299 was created before 10.2-RELEASE to ask for backporting it. However it's not a trivial change and is a large amount of kernel code to support 64 bit Linux and 2.6.32 system calls.

Back