Any usable graphic cards on FreeBSD/amd64?

MorgothV8 said:
Too expensive.
If I had 10 k$ I will spent it for organising expedition into
Svalbard or Franz Josef land or Severnaya Zemlya....

If you do, please poke me, I want to go there too.
=)

I also think this thread can end here. Thanks.

And one more question
I curently have Radeon 9200SE GC in my computer. It is very unstable with DRI and evenrt without DRI and only using XV extension (on both FreeBSD i386 and amd64: 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.0)
What old GC can be used temporarily (with AGP interface), are drivers of GeForce 6XXX (example: 6600GT AGP) stable enough?? (I mean driver from X.org or from NVidia for FreeBSD i386)?
Are there any changes to have stable DRI and XV on some old AGP card (radeon really is unstable, I've tested all options, even "NoAccel" "true" causes XV hangs system from time to time)
Please help! What AGP GC is STABLE on FreeBSD 6.4 i386??

I've had lots of luck with agp radeon cards under FreeBSD. You should seriously consider reporting these stability problems to the correct people.

Adam

i've read a lot of manuals of Xorg, dri, drm, ati, radeon etc. and still unstable.... but with some options it can use XV for some hours but later hangs.... :(
I noticed it happens mostly when using wireless usb keyboard.... but... is it important?? Device driver confilct UKBD with RADEON ??

Quite sure, because it happenns ONLY when wathing movies using mplayer -vo xv, or -vo gl (terribly slow) or -vo sdl, when in console mode it never happens, and when I tried to start KDE once (normally using FVWM) it started but system was very unstable - max 5 minutes of continuous work, even without any video.... so I guess it is a video-driver-related problem.

I'm using the recent DRI/Xorg stuff on newer ATI cards.

Not great but getting there. Haven't tried on FreeBSD, the card is in a non-multiboot Linux box. Won't restore console etc. But starts up and does things with a X1650/R535.

Does anyone have an idea, if someone is working on mesa/drm for R600/R700 chipsets? The project has made a large step forward by implementing some important parts. I've heard that Linux already has support to use the free drivers.

Last time I checked out the git branch, I got:
Code:
link_elf_obj: symbol r600_do_cp_stop undefined
KLD file radeon.ko - could not finalize loading

It's making me really sad. Obviously some low-level routines are missing.

Robert Noland (rnoland@) was looking at the code. There are a number of items that have to be ported over for r600 DRM to work, including all new GART support for those cards, as I understand it. I'm not sure if he got any further than just looking at it (he's a busy guy). You can ask on the freebsd-x11 mailing list, or even poke him on IRC (#dri-devel on freenode) if you want.

I'm using NVIDIA 8600GT with xf86-video-nv. Seems to work fine (except for no support for Xv extension), even got it working dual head (many thanks to Aaron Plattner for pointing me in the right direction) using xrandr.

adamk said:
I'm not sure if he got any further than just looking at it (he's a busy guy). You can ask on the freebsd-x11 mailing list, or even poke him on IRC (#dri-devel on freenode) if you want.

I pretty sure that everyone is quite busy and mostly I get ignored on mailing lists. Second thing is, I really don't want to disturb anyone.

I just hope that the developers understand that implementing this stuff would make a whole bunch of people happy. And I think it increases the value of FreeBSD on the desktop.

*** ATTENTION! ***

I've found WHY my GPU was so unstable.
Installing FreeBSD 7.1 I first installed all Xorg + mplayer with XV
It worked FINE with GLX, DRI ENABLED!

When I installed snd_cmi driver (Cmedia sound card) it started to hang
When *NOT* using sound-driver (snd_cmi.ko) ALL is stable, USB keyboard, DRI, GLX, simply ALL, USB2.0 pendrive (EHCI)
When using snd_cmi then EHCI is unstable, DRI, GLX is unstable, ukbd is unstable

that __horrible__ sound driver caused ALL my problems
I have removed sound card (PCI) and all is super-ok

I've tried that trick on 6.2amd64, 6.4i386, 7.1i386, 7.0i386 -> all systems were OK without this card, and NONE was ok with it...

Now using integrated sound on-board VIA (K8TNEO)

I wonder only if driver snd_cmi is corrupt, or my sound-card is damaged??

I finally bought new computer. It is AMD with NVIDIA 9800 GT (260 was too expensive, and its price raised - we have now very expensive USD in Poland and all prices has risen). I will try FreeBSD 7.1 I386 first, it has official NVIDIA's support... I will tel You how it performs...

And...
If you do, please poke me, I want to go there too.
Heading to Siberia in January 2010, it is some kind of initial/test expedition into Vorkuta and frozen coast of Kara Sea (Karskie Morze, Karskoe More, Карское Море). It is 400 beyond artic circle in the middle of polar-night.
If You are still intrested contact me.... :D, the best way is to send me an @mail (I read this forum only few times per month)
mailto: Lukasz.Gryglicki@innsoft.com.pl

PS: passport and russian visa is required

OK i written it in my native, polish, added also in russian, and MORE correct would be in cyrillica
EDIT:
I've bought AMD X2 with 4Gb RAM and NVidia's 9800 GT
It works splendid, all openGL hw supported, using /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver on FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE i386.

Back