any support for DSPs?

I'm brainstorming on a project to develop a data network simulation and engineering-model prototype suite for a highly specialized and somewhat fuild network architecture based on the IEEE-1355 standard. I'm not a highly skilled FPGA guy and we don't have the funding to recruit an FPGA guy with necessary networking experience. Anyway, I'd like to create NIC (network interface card) units that conform to the layer 1 layer 2 part of the standard (exempting high bitrates) as engineering and test units. At first I considered MCU programming but the clock speeds available are way too low, especially given that I have to drive the logic using GPIO and physical layer line drivers, so I considered full CPU implemention on na embedded board, and most full CPUs require way more setup than I want to absorb, so I'm considering DSP boards. I think they are probably the best alternative if FGPA is off the table.

What, if any, DSP eval boards does freeBSD support...support well?
Are there any discussion groups specific to "embedded" freeBSD?

Are there any discussion groups specific to "embedded" freeBSD?
Yes, but they mostly deal with running FreeBSD on that embedded hardware. You can't run an "OS" on a DSP, or an FPGA, or a microcontroller. Now, can you use FreeBSD to 'program' those DSPs, FPGAs or microcontrollers? Sure. Some are. Open source FPGA 'programming' tools are still dodgy though and generally only support quite simple FPGAs. Could you build a driver for said DSP, FPGA and 'control' it from FreeBSD? Sure, that's possible. You're going to need to find a 'guy' that can code drivers though. And your hardware 'guy' is going to need to know how to interface with USB(3)? PCIe?

OS on DSP and FPGA? Sure you can! we ran ucLinux on Blackfinns in the mid 2000s and I've used several linux instances that ran on embedded boards where the ARM core was part of the FPGA...There are also several RTOS microkernal OS that will run on DSP and MCU hardware. Unfortunately the freebie versions are quite lacking though.

Ideally I want microkernel or baremetal since the function of the board is to process layer 1 and layer 2 network info.

Sure you can! we ran ucLinux on Blackfinns in the mid 2000s and I've used several linux instances that ran on embedded boards where the ARM core was part of the FPGA.
Cyclone and Spartan type FPGAs are a little different. While you could also create a CPU core and the like in an FPGA you're going to need quite a bit of realestate for a "CPU" to have enough functionality for a generic OS to run on.

That said, a board like the DE10 nano might be able to boot a really cut down version of the FreeBSD kernel, but I'm not aware anyone has ever attempted it.

Something that really wasn't answered. My main point of focus at this career stage is managing and architecting embedded R&D efforts. To that end I'm interested in freeBSD forums that focus on the OS in embedded environments. Sure, every chip vendor out there has their own forum, but 1) those forums focus on their product line, and 2) they are really excuses for directed marketing, an activity I abhore.

What vendor neutral "embedded focused" freeBSD forums exist?

I really really miss USENET!

Back