Solved Any problem with portsnap servers ?

Hi, I am using 10.1-p35/40 (k/u) and the standard portsnap setup. Since a couple of days I get the message that all mirrors fail:
Code:
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 6 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from ec2-eu-west-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching snapshot tag from sourcefire.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching snapshot tag from your-org.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching snapshot tag from ec2-ap-southeast-2.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching snapshot tag from ec2-ap-northeast-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching snapshot tag from ec2-sa-east-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.
Also when I use the -s and any of the servers above , i get the same result.
Is there a generic problem or do I have some trouble on my side only ?

Sh... I tried it on my VM with 10.3 and there it worked very well. So something is wrong on my real server and I have no idea where to search :(

host ec2-eu-west-1.portsnap.freebsd.org is providing me the right answer 46... I already tried
portsnap -s ec2-eu-west-1.portsnap.freebsd.org --debug fetch and get from fetch "No address record" So I need to drill down fetch ...

Just to share in case you step into the same issues:
While host has worked, also ping was not able to resolve the URL. The problem was the following entry in my /etc/nsswitch.conf :
Code:
 hosts: files [notfound=return] dns
needs to be changed into
Code:
 hosts: files [notfound=continue] dns
or
Code:
 hosts: cache files dns

OMG - what a newbee fault ....:rolleyes:

Yeah, I had some DNS problems and it looked like /etc/hosts was ignored. So I tried to tweak the resolver ... with the strange results that some tools work and some not. So the resolver tweaked me back :D

Hmm, while I count meanwhile 40 IP dresses at my home, I still hesitate to install a DNS. Now, saying that the router has a DNS integrated for my home-net and my guest-net. The router also serves as DHCP, NTP and of course NAT. I also ensure that based on MAC DHCP assigns always the same IP - so incase DNS goes down/wrong I still know the IP Adress ( I hate IP6, therefore my network is only IP4 ) :mad:

For my admin-net network I don't have a DNS. Call me old style, but one of the reasons I use FreeBSD and not Windows, that I feel I have it/IT under better control :D
Therefore I love /etc/hosts and the other simple /etc/...conf files. Clear human readable files and no database where a hidden record drives you nuts.

Back