Solved Any Multi-function ink device printer/scanner fully working with bsd?

There is no sub-forum on peripheral devices such as printers, so I post here.
Is there any brand multi-function ink device printer/scanner that works with FreeBSD preferably out of the box (just after drivers installation), or after minimal tweaking.
It would be ideal if it will be ink tank device not a ink cartridge based one. For example https:// www8.hp.com /pl/pl/printers/product-details/16180957
Manufacturer is irrelevant for me. Compatibility and ink tank feature are a main factors. Support for lan or wi-fi printing is also completely irrelevant in my case.

Inkjet printers are going to be issue as its usually made to be cheap rather than reliable and robust, many depends on the host (computer) to much of the processing and use proprietary protocols to communicate. Pretty much any SMB/home office Laser AIO will work as they in general supports Postscript and/or PCL for printing and SMB/FTP to transfer scans.

Inkjet printers are going to be issue as its usually made to be cheap rather than reliable and robust, many depends on the host (computer) to much of the processing and use proprietary protocols to communicate. Pretty much any SMB/home office Laser AIO will work as they in general supports Postscript and/or PCL for printing and SMB/FTP to transfer scans.
Basically most of the printers from the list is not not available first hand in poland And a seckond hend market did not look promissing heare.

So my only option is picking some models of xerox kiosera and hp with support of Postscript and/or PCL for printing and SMB/FTP to transfer scans. And contact the producer, ask about compatibility with bsd. Or better pick sone models of HP printers and ask if model of my choosing is compatibile with hplip 3.20.3_1 couse thats a version support by https://www.freshports.org/print/hplip.

I personally have good experience with Kyoceras mid-rage laser AIOs but depending on when you make a purchase pricing can differ widly for some odd reason.
Kyocera ECOSYS M5526cd* (M5521 is very similar but much more expensive consumables) is a nice "little" machine that should work just fine in using FreeBSD.

"Emulations: PCL 6 (PCL 5c/PCL-XL), PostScript 3 (KPDL 3), PDF Direct Print, XPS Direct Print"
"Functionality: Scan-to-e-mail (SMTP), Scan-to-FTP (FTP over SSL), Scan-to-SMB, Scan to USB Host, TWAIN scan (USB, network), WSD (WIA) scan (USB, network)"

I'm sure HP/Brother/Canon all have similar but I usually find it quite hard to beat Kyocera's machines in this price range (currently around 350-400EUR in .de) especially having in mind costs of consumables.

https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.eu/en/products/mfp/ECOSYSM5526CDN.html (N - ethernet, W - wireless)

I personally have good experience with Kyoceras mid-rage laser AIOs but depending on when you make a purchase pricing can differ widly for some odd reason.
Kyocera ECOSYS M5526cd* (M5521 is very similar but much more expensive consumables) is a nice "little" machine that should work just fine in using FreeBSD.

"Emulations: PCL 6 (PCL 5c/PCL-XL), PostScript 3 (KPDL 3), PDF Direct Print, XPS Direct Print"
"Functionality: Scan-to-e-mail (SMTP), Scan-to-FTP (FTP over SSL), Scan-to-SMB, Scan to USB Host, TWAIN scan (USB, network), WSD (WIA) scan (USB, network)"

I'm sure HP/Brother/Canon all have similar but I usually find it quite hard to beat Kyocera's machines in this price range (currently around 350-400EUR in .de) especially having in mind costs of consumables.

https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.eu/en/products/mfp/ECOSYSM5526CDN.html (N - ethernet, W - wireless)
I have been using Kyocera mid-range laser AIOs for quite a long time and am completely satisfied with it.

I'm using El Cheapo HP Officejet 4650 on 12.2. The HP setup did not work for me, but CUPS offered the necessary drivers and it was done quickly. I also added some lines in devfs.conf, but don't know whether this was actually necessary. If you haven't used cups before, the Web interface is at localhost:631 if it's working.

I have good fortune with HP devices and their HPLIP driver. No problems with printing and scanning on inkjets and lasers. I'd like to get away from their low-end price range though, but it's just not rational for my use case.

If you want a true Multi-function printer/scanner I think you are confined to HP using HPLIP software. This issue is how you connect to the printer. If USB generally the Vendor/Device_ID is in a database and if recognized it attaches a driver. The HP driver is the only one which supports both printer and scanner. If you buy the latest and greatest HP multi-function, whose Vendor/Device_ID are only in the latest HPLIP version and your FreeBSD is using an older version of HPLIP, it will not get recognized.
Beyond that, HPLIP is kinda bloated; it is written in python rather than C/C++.
If you have the desktop real estate, IMHO, the most stable solution is a separate printer and scanner. You can use several print spoolers (lpr, lprng, cups) and any SANE compatible scanner.

Any decent mid range AIO supports USB, FTP, SAMBA, E-mail so you usually don't need to have a working scanner in your OS.

I have a Samsung C460W color laser that works with FreeBSD and has since 2016, when I bought it. My memory is hazy, but I think it had Linux install files and I got the ppd from there. As for the scanning part, I found the solution on the ArchLinux wiki, one has to edit the sane.d file and add the address of a networked printer. In addition, generic toners are still working on it, and they can be found at very good prices. I had to laugh actually, I bought Samsung to avoid the HP extortionate toner prices and two weeks later, HP bought Samsung's printer division. But, I'm still able to find good toner prices. My wife has to print what seems like a lot to me for work, but even so, we've only had to replaced the colored toners once and the black twice in 4 years. And of course, the toners that came with the printer were starter toners, probably not as full as normal ones.

So I've made some calculations and the cheapest HPLIP device for my use case was HP OfficeJet Pro 9013. Printing and scanning works great, sheet feeder can not be removed, most smart features can be turned off.

I'm using El Cheapo HP Officejet 4650 on 12.2. The HP setup did not work for me, but CUPS offered the necessary drivers and it was done quickly. I also added some lines in devfs.conf, but don't know whether this was actually necessary. If you haven't used cups before, the Web interface is at localhost:631 if it's working.
I have not been able to get my HP 4655 working with 12.2. I installed cups and made the advised edits, and OpenOffice recognizes the printer, but nothing happens. After installing hplip when trying to print from OpenOffice the printer wakes job but no print. This is on wireless. I just can’t figure this one out.

Back