Any ETA for Gnome3?

Hi dear FreeBSD community.

Is there any expection when Gnome3 will be available for 9.1 rc2?

I would love to get it.

Best wishes

decsis

decsis said:
So..you mean...there is a chance it will never appear?
To be honest I have absolutely no idea. It was supposed to be in the ports with version 3.0 but they're already at 3.6 and there's still no sign of it.

Not that I really mind, I really don't like 3.x :e

Hehe ok.

Hmm this post didn't really help me to find gnome3.... is there anyone who successfully installed Gnome3 (unstable) on freebsd 9.1?
I downloaded the tarball of marcuscoms ports and started the installation of gnome3, however it stopped because of libxslt.....

GNOME 3 is moving toward a more Linux-only set of dependencies. It's not likely we're going to see a port any time soon. In fact, as GNOME gets tied more closely to Linux, we're less likely to see it ported.

I think the OpenBSD community managed to get GNOME 3 Fallback mode running, but from what I've heard it's not entirely stable. and, as fallback mode gets phased out... well, it probably won't be running on OpenBSD either.

Gnome

break19 said:
That's because cinnamon is more of an extension of gnome2 than gnome3...

You're thinking of MATE. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2. Cinnamon is an alternative shell for GNOME 3. Cinnamon just happens to look a lot like GNOME 2, but it is made with GNOME 3 technology.

I imagine we will be getting large parts of Gnome 3 on FreeBSD because other (useful) applications will start depending on Gnome 3 libraries.

Unfortunately, these libraries will probably replace the Gnome 2 versions so we will be left with a broken Gnome 2.

What I would very much like to see is a /usr/local/gnome2 and /usr/local/gnome3 prefix so we can attempt to contain the insanity.

Unfortunately I have had a preliminary attempt at this and it is going to be sooo much work, I would suggest simply breaking Gnome instead lol.

At the end of the day, how much of Gnome 2 worked in the first place? If you go to the Administration menu, almost all the tools there are broken so really all people are using is the panel, window manager and file manager anyway and that should be (a little) easier to port.

Back