An unexpected contender: NetBSD

Actually, a detailed technical discussion of the form "I just found that operating system X has this nice feature", or "Operating system Y does ABC better than FreeBSD because..." would be welcome. Even when phrased negatively: "FreeBSD's elephant feeding mechanism is inferior to Linux because my elephants really like Salade Nicoise, and FreeBSD only has Caesar Salad, what would it take to improve the salad bar?"

What I absolutely can't stand is the threads that are not based on rational technical or organizational arguments, but on emotion (the FoobarBSD desktop makes me fell all warm when I pee on myself), ad-hominem attacks (Lennart is ugly, and Linus has hair loss), or religion (including the open-source religion, which I subscribe to exactly as much as any other religion: not at all).

what would it take to improve the salad bar?
But I find those ones a bit annoying because unless there's some work done by the poster to actually improve the salad bar - it's just moaning.

So, fine, say that MegaBSD would be better with feature X, and "here's a patch", or "here's the R&D that I've done", or "I think the work needs to happen in these files", or "I've started a bug bounty" or "I'm donating $X to FreeBSD" or whatever.

And just remember that you (the proposer) might be wanting "the" killer feature (for your uses of MegaBSD) but there are plenty of other people who would prefer development went on feature X, port Y, performance improvements, etc.

Moaning on the internet doesn't really do much useful. (He says, as he moans on the internet ;) )

Reactions: a6h
So, fine, say that MegaBSD would be better with feature X, and "here's a patch", or "here's the R&D that I've done", or "I think the work needs to happen in these files", or "I've started a bug bounty" or "I'm donating $X to FreeBSD" or whatever.

Before spending one's free time on any work, it's plain common sense to make sure the work you'll submit will be accepted by those having a commit bit.

Before spending one's free time on any work, it's plain common sense to make sure the work you'll submit will be accepted by those having a commit bit.
Good point.

But - do those people (committers) read these forums? If not then not much point in posting in here? Unless the posts make a lot of the FreeBSD users here think "hey, that's something FreeBSD really needs" and it builds up some momentum that gets noticed elsewhere (raised on the right mailing lists or with the right people.) I'm not convinced but I'll raise it as a counter-argument to my own argument.

And would checking first count as doing something as opposed to empty moaning?

"Here's something that works better in SupaBSD and I've checked with Samatha who has a commit bit and it's all good but needs a bug bounty of $1000 to cover the development time"

Actually, a detailed technical discussion of the form "I just found that operating system X has this nice feature", or "Operating system Y does ABC better than FreeBSD because..." would be welcome.
Yep. What happens so often is that someone comes along and just blurts out some point with no direction known--like how this started. Over the almost two decades, we haven't had so many threads start like this that weren't flame bait till a few years ago. Now everything starts to look that way.

Reactions: a6h
I created the thread after watching WWE. I'm not an English speaker not I'm good at English. I encountered the word "contender" on the WWE show and found the word is cool so I just pick it up and use it. Please pardon me for my lack of English vocabulary, everyone. BTW, what is the correct word to use?
I wrastling terminology, FreeBSD would be the "Face", or "BabyFace" (the Good Guy) and Linux would be the "heel", (the Bad Guy).

Tux Tapioca pudding after I put the Sleeper on him.

I would consider NetBSD a "branch" of BSD.

Back