An Odd Project (HP Pavillion)

Hi people,

I am a new guy here, with a new (and maybe foolish) project. As a retired HP guy I have not touched UNIX in ten years, but I have my son's old crashed (disk) PC. Thought I might turn it into a UNIX box.

Was a half-baked UNIX support guy with HP for a while. Not the HP-UX bunch, but a system outfit tied to UNIX workstations. I like the OS. But I got my stuff pre-packaged from our labbies, and only needed to wade in an inch or two to solve problems. I never needed to fiddle with odd configurations. Customer had the workstation we sold them. Oh, simple world!

The PC I am looking at is one of those little, proprietary beasties HP calls a Pavillion. Maybe five years old. A lot of non-standard stuff I fear, and I am wondering if this is a hopeless, difficult, OK, or slam-dunk case.

Else recycle, or (cringe) Windows.

Thanks in advance,

JohnCMcD

Should be fine. Save any data off the drive, or better yet, put in a new drive, and unleash the FreeBSD installer on it.

Maybe also possible... an 8.2 install (search the forum, "wikidot" for the url) with a lot of programs already installed (you'd want the i386 version in that case).

Back