amd vega and radeon series vga card driver for FreeBSD 12.1 and 12.2 tutorial for beginner[update 2020-12-16]

Sevendogsbsd

Daemon

I just install the drm-kmod package and xf86-video-amdgpu. I add the appropriate entry to /etc/rc.conf. I do no other configuration and the system just works. This is a desktop PC though, not a laptop. I only have an RX570 so can't speak to any other models or laptops as I do not use a laptop with FreeBSD.

cabriofahrer

I do not intend to run a laptop either. I am asking because I might be interested in buying a Desktop AMD GPU with vega in the furture.

zeising@

Developer

Be aware that the drm-v5.0-fbsd12.1 branch is not supported, and not guaranteed to work. There were a couple of regressions with the 5.0 branch, which is why both drm-current-kmod (for current) and drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (for FreeBSD 12.x) are stuck with Linux 4.16 code. If you need newer drivers, it is probably best to run FreeBSD current and use drm-devel-kmod.

roper

I do not intend to run a laptop either. I am asking because I might be interested in buying a Desktop AMD GPU with vega in the furture.
I've purchased a B550 motherboard and am awaiting a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ordered from China. I'll let you know how vega works out when it arrives.

zeising@

Developer

I've purchased a B550 motherboard and am awaiting a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ordered from China. I'll let you know how vega works out when it arrives.

I believe this should be supported when using a recent FreeBSD CURRENT ant the lastest drm-kmod and gpu-firmware-kmod updates.

roper

I am an AMD 3000G user. I installed FreeBSD 13-CURRENT and drm-current-kmod, xf86-video-amdgpu to use X window.
I've received the cpu and assembled the box. I installed FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE which went very well. I encountered an issue in that the memstick from which I installed wasn't recognized as bootable when plugged into any USB 3.0 port but was recognized from a USB 2.0 port from which I completed the installation. I've been reading about bectl and boot environments and intend to try out Xorg with xf86-video-amdgpu when I'm confident that I can roll back to a RELEASE version without error. As of today I'm quite pleased with this cpu even without taking advantage of the gpu cores.

WCSN

This solution work in 12.2 ... but need correct errors (simple) compiling.

jardows

This solution work in 12.2 ... but need correct errors (simple) compiling.
Can you give some more details? I need this driver for my video card on my desktop (I don't want to run -CURRENT and the 4.16 drivers do not work). I'm running into a compile error, but as I am not that experienced with debugging compilation errors, really don't know what to do next.

WCSN

Can you give some more details? I need this driver for my video card on my desktop (I don't want to run -CURRENT and the 4.16 drivers do not work). I'm running into a compile error, but as I am not that experienced with debugging compilation errors, really don't know what to do next
You need to correct the source code for the errors that the compiler produces - comment out the calls and function declarations in .h .cpp files. Which ones are visible during compilation. Unfortunately, I didn't make a patch.

jardows

You need to correct the source code for the errors that the compiler produces - comment out the calls and function declarations in .h .cpp files. Which ones are visible during compilation. Unfortunately, I didn't make a patch.
Yeah, that's getting pretty far outside of my current skill level. I've never managed to make it much past "Hello World" in any C programming tutorials. But I have made great strides in learning POSIX shell scripting, so there's hope for me yet!

WCSN

Yeah, that's getting pretty far outside of my current skill level. I've never managed to make it much past "Hello World" in any C programming tutorials. But I have made great strides in learning POSIX shell scripting, so there's hope for me yet!
Ок.
1. Download FreeBSD source. (if not have this...)
svn checkout http://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2/ /usr/src
2. Go first page this theme and make instructions... (if not make...) without download and make drv... kms-drm-drm-v5.0-fbsd12.1.zip
m.b. need install pkg install linux-c7-7.8.2003 and m.b. need download firmware https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-firmware/archive/master.zip)
3. get from attache kms-drm-drm-v5.0-fbsd12.1_modify.tar.xz (my modify).
4. unpack and make and make install this.
5. kldload amdgpu
if you run command kldstat must see few amdgpu_*.ko (firmware :))
6. reboot ... and load X and DE :)

Minzord

Hello, it's normal that I don't support brightness management ?

I use FreeBSD 13.0-BETA3
CPU: Info: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: N/A
Speed: 2096 MHz min/max: 1400/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): No speed data found for 8 cores.
Graphics: Message: No Device data found.
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.35.0 13.0-BETA3 LLVM 10.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.3

Without xf86-video-ati xorg switched to modesetting.

Have a nice day

OP
R

Raffeale

Hello, it's normal that I don't support brightness management ?

I use FreeBSD 13.0-BETA3

Without xf86-video-ati xorg switched to modesetting.

Have a nice day
it's normal in freebsd 12.2, maybe the driver did not support it. it cant change brightness with shortcut key even if I load acpi_video driver. I use other method change brightness in freebsd 12.2

Minzord

it's normal in freebsd 12.2, maybe the driver did not support it. it cant change brightness with shortcut key even if I load acpi_video driver. I use other method change brightness in freebsd 12.2
I am on FreeBSD 13.0 but I would like to have the method.