AMD Radeon 7900XTX Unsupported?

Hi,

I am attempting to try out FreeBSD on a desktop, since my laptops both had an unsupported wifi chip. Both of them have AMD graphics and I got those working with X11/Plasma. I believe that I have done what is needed in terms of the drivers for the desktop, but not sure...

/var/log/Xorg.0.log --> https://termbin.com/tup8

The following line seems interesting:
Code:
[    33.853] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

I have installed the latest version of /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod and x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu, as well as put: kld_list="amdgpu" in /etc/rc.conf. From what I saw in the committ messages for the AMD driver, it looked like RDNA3 is supported, so maybe I just did something wrong here.

Does anyone have any ideas? (also, I am about to head to bed, so if anyone replies tonight, I will not answer back until tomorrow).

Hi,

I am attempting to try out FreeBSD on a desktop, since my laptops both had an unsupported wifi chip. Both of them have AMD graphics and I got those working with X11/Plasma. I believe that I have done what is needed in terms of the drivers for the desktop, but not sure...

/var/log/Xorg.0.log --> https://termbin.com/tup8

The following line seems interesting:
Code:
[    33.853] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

I have installed the latest version of /usr/ports/graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod and x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu, as well as put: kld_list="amdgpu" in /etc/rc.conf. From what I saw in the committ messages for the AMD driver, it looked like RDNA3 is supported, so maybe I just did something wrong here.

Does anyone have any ideas? (also, I am about to head to bed, so if anyone replies tonight, I will not answer back until tomorrow).
I'm sorry, but FreeBSD only supports up to RX 6600... your card is too new. 7900 XTX has codename plum bonito. That has not yet made it into
graphics/gpu-firmware-amd-kmod pkg-plist...

I am attempting to try out FreeBSD on a desktop, since my laptops both had an unsupported wifi chip. Both of them have AMD graphics and I got those working with X11/Plasma.
Easiest thing to do here would be to buy a TP-Link Nano USB Wifi adapter, a few dollars/euro/pounds from Amazon or anywhere else, to get your laptops up and running on FreeBSD whilst you wait for the newer graphics card firmware to be ported from Linux. The driver for that wifi card just needs if_rtwn_usb_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

Easiest thing to do here would be to buy a TP-Link Nano USB Wifi adapter, a few dollars/euro/pounds from Amazon or anywhere else, to get your laptops up and running on FreeBSD whilst you wait for the newer graphics card firmware to be ported from Linux. The driver for that wifi card just needs if_rtwn_usb_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
or, if you have the skill and patience, find an Intel-branded wifi card to swap in.

Thanks for the replies!

I will let the FreeBSD partition on the desktop rest until the graphics card is supported, and probably either get a usb wifi adapter or switch out the internal card on one of the laptops at some point.

Back