Solved Alternatives to Linux Davfs2

Hi guys,

I have been trying a solution but I could find the right one.

I need to mount a webdav resource, on Linux I use a package called "davfs2" which allows me to mount it directly through "fstab", this as several advantages, since the remote resource is mounted in the file system it works as any other folder. So far I was able to mount it only through Thunar and the "fusefs-webdav" utility; however this is not a very optimal solution, the access to this folder becomes available only through Thunar and a lot of functionalities are missing, like opening the remote folder inside a terminal.

I read that some use "rclone" to have access to a "webdav" resource but I like to operate in this remote folder as it was a normal folder and not syncing it later.

Please if you are aware about similar solution like davfs let me know!

Thanks in advance, tgl.

Last edited:
So far I was able to mount it only through Thunar and the "fusefs-webdav" utility; however this is not a very optimal solution, the access to this folder becomes available only through Thunar and a lot of functionalities are missing, like opening the remote folder inside a terminal.
Ehm, it's a command line tool. Thunar just runs it 'automagically'. Read its pkg-message: pkg info -D fusefs-webdavfs.

Well I guess it works in combination with fuse...
Anyway I'll let you know asap!

Thanks,

TGL

Dear tgl,
yes, it works with fuse. This is how I mount a resource of the German Telekom after I have loaded fuse:
Code:
/sbin/mount -o mountprog=/usr/local/sbin/mount_webdavfs,username=THE_USER_NAME,password=THE_PASSWORD ttps://webdav.magentacloud.de /media/cloud
There are lots of examples in the internet with different variants. Some might be outdated. At least they do not work as expected. The code above works for me.

Hi guys,

thanks to all...

It looks it was my fault I have never installed fusefs-webdav to begin with... 🤦‍♂️

Now I installed fusefs-libs3, fusefs-webdavfs and fusefs-afuse and enabled the module (fusefs), It worked!

However it mounted everything in read-only mode, and apparently it is a recent bug:

Code:
 no PUT Range support, mounting read-only

Maybe I should remove the package and try out the port... not sure. 🤔

Anyway how can I use a key file in order to avoid to put in clear my password on the FSTAB file?
Could you please redirect me to any useful source?

Thanks in advance, tgl!

Dear tgl,
I run the command as above just when I need it from a shell script as root using sudo. I use the package. As far as I remember I have not managed to do the mounting using /etc/fstab. And I do not remember any issues about ready only. I have never tried key files. I upload only encrypted files and the password is just for that account.[/file]

Dear chrbr

Thanks for following up with me.

Whether I use the CLI or FSTAB always get the same error:

Code:
no PUT Range support, mounting read-only

At least with Thunar I have full access to the remote folder... I'll dig a little bit further... 😩

Back