Alt and ESC reversed

I have just made a fresh installation of 14.0-R and installed xorg, tmux, emacs on an old ThinkPad X61.

Using emacs, under tmux under xterm, I need to press ESC to invoke Alt, how do I get Alt to work normally?

The problem occurs under x11/xterm. I have to press ESC when I want Alt.

When pressing Alt (left) x11/xev shows 64 Alt_L, and 9 Escape when pressing Esc.

This is under 13.2-R-p2 on a ThinkPad X61 which has a 7 row keyboard. Not sure if that is a contributing factor.

How do I fix this? x11/xmodmap? If so can someone give an example of how to do this?

Add the following line to ~/.Xresources
Code:
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
Not sure what I did wrong earlier but this does work now, although I still have numerous keys not working properly under XTerm...

Having said that, it looks like they do work in other applications under XTerm, but emacs has most problems... C-h (help) acts as backspace, for example. There are several other keys in addition. This is confusing because the same keys work fine under LXTerminal

Having said that, it looks like they do work in other applications under XTerm, but emacs has most problems... C-h (help) acts as backspace, for example. There are several other keys in addition. This is confusing because the same keys work fine under LXTerminal

Does seem like an emacs rather than XTerm problem?

Unfortunately I can't get my head around what is going on....

The problems manifest themselves under emacs, eg C-h invokes backspace among other irregularities, but only under XTerm. It works normally under LXTerminal. I'm not aware of any differences between XTerm and LXTerminal in other programs.

looks like tmux causing the issue

That may have been the case, but I've eliminated tmux from the equation and have found that I can use C-h in emacs under LXTermnal but not under XTerm.

Not sure how to trap what keycode gets sent when pressing C-h.

Xev seems to treat the keys separately.

i found a couple of links that might be useful

i found a couple of links that might be useful

That may have been useful, but...

Found the solution here: http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard/keyboard.html#Xterm

Apply palm, with force, to forehead.

Many thanks to those that responded.
....site can be reached....

Back