ALC1220 and sound recording?

Hi,
My MB is Asrock AMD X370 K4 with an ALC1220 audio chip.

FreeBSD installs 12.0/12.1/13.0 - I have output sound with excellent quality at all of them.
But I cannot figure how to record sound from the desktop. I've spent days in experiments, with various tweaks, wi/wo pinning, either pulse or oss - no sound captured from the desktop.
At the same time when FreeBSD is a KVM Guest all these sound recording applications - OBS studio, SimpeScreenRecorder, recordMyDesktop, ffmpeg - record flawlessly from within the FreeBSD guest.

So my questions are:
Has anyone with MB with an ALC1220 audio chip managed to record sound from the desktop when FreeBSD is normally installed on the hardware?
Or is the FreeBSD snd_hda driver just ..meh... for this specific ALC1220 chip and I give up further tries?

Or is the FreeBSD snd_hda driver just ..meh...
It's not. The "problem" with HDA is that there's a lot of customization an OEM can do. They can reassign pins to other functions, change the order and whatnot. Instead of having to create a specific driver for each implementation the snd_hda(4) driver is extremely flexible. But this does mean you sometimes have fiddle with the pin assignments to get it fully operational for your situation.

There is no such feature in OSS.

Hi, thanks for the share.
Is the lack of this 'feature' FreeBSD specific?

Because OSS implementation states:
Supports loop back recording. This enables you to "record-what-you-hear". Typically this is useful for recording streaming audio or trapping audio from applications

FYI, virtual_oss has a (somewhat wonky) loopback device support.

Because OSS implementation states:
Supports loop back recording. This enables you to "record-what-you-hear". Typically this is useful for recording streaming audio or trapping audio from applications

Which OSS? The FreeBSD OSS implementation is quite distinct from the 4Front's one.

No luck in solving the problem with both OSS implementations, I guess I have to live with this astounding shortcoming in FreeBSD.
As a consolation I have no problems recording from mic/line.

Back