ahci_enable device names

Hi,

I'm running a remote 8.2-RELEASE, amd64 server, with one disk named ad2. I want enable AHCI via
Code:
ahci_enable="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf.

The problem is, the device will be renamed to adaX, and it will fail to boot (i don't have KVM access to the box).

An alternative is to use glabel/plain labels, but i'd still like to know if there's any way to find out the new name beforehand/without rebooting?

Thanks.

In my experience (but I don't say that it will work same for you, or that I'm right) disk with lowest number becomes ada0, disk with 2nd lowest number becomes ada1 and so on

If you resort to labels, try to use the labelling schemes offered by UFS or GPT before trying GEOM labels.

GEOM labels are (in my view) a somewhat clumsy way of labelling a disk, creating a whole new device which is one sector smaller than the real disk. This can only really be done safely before the disk is used for anything else.

UFS labels reside in the filesystem metadata.

GPT labels reside in the partition table.

Thanks everyone.

I'll still need to get a KVM, since i can't label anything while it's mounted.

Afaik GPT labels can be changes while the Partitions are in use. Maybe you have to set some GEOM debug flags first because it required writing to a provider that has consumers and their are good reasons to prohibit this in normal operation.

Back