After upgrading no more audio in firefox

Thanks. At that page, without following a link to any other page at the site, there are a few videos, and a podcast. Playback for even a split-second will leave audio in use by a Firefox process after playback ceases. For example:

Code:
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ # fstat | grep -e dsp -e mixer | grep firefox
grahampe firefox    35866   73 /dev         95 crw-rw-rw-  dsp1.0  w
root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p:~ #

1626224608049.png

My cent:

On Firefox 91.0 updated by pkg upgrade, there was not audio anymore, other apps did play audio.
Pulseaudio is currently installed.
In Firefox's configuration, about:config, the "media.cubeb.backend" setting was a boolean with value true.
I'd change the setting from a boolean to a string with value "oss", restart the browser and now plays audio.

In Firefox's configuration, about:config, the "media.cubeb.backend" setting was a boolean with value true.
I'd change the setting from a boolean to a string with value "oss", restart the browser and now plays audio.
Yes, it is an undocumeted, unexistent config option that happens to work.

And there was recently a change in firefox: I used to need that very method as Alain did discribe, to configure my firefox to use Jack. Otherwise, by default it would use OSS. But recently this changed, and I do no longer need this option! Firefox does now autodetect if my Jack is currently running or not (and crashes whenever that changes :/ ).

What this means is obvious: they have added more "unsolicited AI" stuff (that thinks it know what you want, better than yourself). And, also obvious: that stuff occasionally produces wrong results. Like in Your case. Cheerio.

Ah, there it is. I once desperately tried to remember that word "cubeb", and had no real idea where to search...

If you build accessibilty/speech-dispatcher from ports, you can do a make config which allows you to disable pulseaudio.

One of the drawbacks of the binary packages is that you do not get to choose your options. For example, the binary kodi package pulls in pulseaudio (which break passthrough of AC3, E-AC, TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD and DTS:X for me) as well and does not allow playback of DRM-enabled DVDs.

Back