After upgrading no more audio in firefox

You must not forget that speecher dispatcher brings pulseaudio and not chromium. Chromium does not have pulseaudio enabled by default and dont start it automatically.

View attachment 10585
hruodr said pkg info -r pulseaudio output chromium as well as speech-dispatcher. I don't have access to his system, and I don't have chromium installed on my own system, so I can't check for myself. Please see his post #22. Thanks.

I just can confirm that firefox dont spawn pulseaudio and i do not have set anything in firefox.

1626172071617.png

hruodr said pkg info -r pulseaudio output chromium as well as speech-dispatcher. I don't have access to his system, and I don't have chromium installed on my own system, so I can't check for myself. Please see his post #22. Thanks.

Then i guess his packages are not up to date.

1626172217786.png

Once installed, pulseaudio is going to start itself automatically, and respawn itself.
If you install bind, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install apache, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install postfix, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install pulseaudio ... Why the hell it runs?!

Please also check his post #14. He shows that pulseaudio is an indirect dependency of chromium by way of speech-dispatcher. In other words, chromium pulls in speech-dispatcher, and then speech-dispatcher pulls in pulseaudio.

I had now only this in the eyes "hruodr said pkg info -r pulseaudio output chromium as well as speech-dispatcher", in #14 he uses an extra option which shows chromium then as indirect dependency.

If you install bind, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install apache, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install postfix, it will not start itself and run (unless you use debian).
If you install pulseaudio ... Why the hell it runs?!
I don't know. It's just the behavior I recently observed before I decided to uninstall it myself.
Sorry I missed the point of your previous post earlier. I can appreciate and even share your frustration.

I had now only this in the eyes "hruodr said pkg info -r pulseaudio output chromium as well as speech-dispatcher", in #14 he uses an extra option which shows chromium then as indirect dependency.
This is what I had in my eyes: "(1) I did pkg info -r, pulseaudio is demanded by speech-dispatcher-0.10.2 and chromium-91.0.4472.114_1" (post #22).

Sorry for any misunderstandings. I'm frustrated with pulseaudio too, but I should have read the whole thread more completely before replying.

Well, I rebooted, pulseaudio is not started, neither at boot, nor with firefox, nor with chromium.

Perhaps it was firefox without the configuration. Perhaps other program will start it.

It did not start after seeing a video. But after surfing text sites, without audio, started.

I did not do anything than browsing text files, and then started.

Why?!

This is what I had in my eyes: "(1) I did pkg info -r, pulseaudio is demanded by speech-dispatcher-0.10.2 and chromium-91.0.4472.114_1" (post #22).

Sorry for any misunderstandings. I'm frustrated with pulseaudio too, but I should have read the whole thread more completely before replying.

No problem, i should have read more too 🤝

Do you have tried my suggestion in #15?
No. And I really do not like the idea that that is the solution.

Without my will should not run any daemon, except necessary system daemons.

The idea that daemons start from alone, that something starts daemons and I not even know what,
is horrible. Not only for security reasons.

It did not start after seeing a video. But after surfing text sites, without audio, started.

I did not do anything than browsing text files, and then started.

Why?!
I wish I knew. I observed similar behavior myself, and have abandoned the plasma5 desktop just to avoid installing it again. I still have it on another partition, so I may try Alexander's recommendation in post #15, and see if that works, if only for curiosity's sake. Still my best workaround to date is just to avoid installing it in the first place.

Hello, the best way to disable pulseaudio do it is through the offered settings.

Open /usr/local/etc/pulse/client.conf and uncomment the line with
Code:
autospawn=yes
and set it to no.

Then relog or restart and pulseaudio should now no longer appear.
This works, at least up to this point. I added the line:
Code:
autospawn=no
... to /usr/local/etc/pulse/client.conf, rebooted, and I'm now listening to a youtube video on Firefox on the plasma5 desktop.
Code:
root@plasma:~ # ps -ax | grep pulseaudio
2085  1  S+    0:00.00 grep pulseaudio
root@plasma:~ #
Edited to add: FWIW, I also ran mixer vol 100:100 (it was set to 86:86 by default), and have this in /etc/syctl.conf:
Code:
dev.pcm.0.play.vchans=16
#dev.pcm.0.rec.vchans=16
hw.snd.maxautovchans=16
#hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap=1
dev.pcm.0.bitperfect=1
hw.snd.vpc_0db=100
kern.timecounter.alloweddeviation=0
hw.snd.latency=0

This works, at least up to this point. I added the line:
Code:
autospawn=no
... to /usr/local/etc/pulse/client.conf, rebooted, and I'm now listening to a youtube video on Firefox on the plasma5 desktop.
Code:
root@plasma:~ # ps -ax | grep pulseaudio
2085  1  S+    0:00.00 grep pulseaudio

This setting only prevents pulseaudio from starting by itself. In this case firefox spawns it, i should have remember it earlier.

This setting only prevents pulseaudio from starting by itself. In this case firefox spawns it, i should have remember it earlier.
Firefox did not spawn it; it is not running. The ps -ax output only shows my grep command's process, hence, pulseaudio is not running. It didn't start when plasma5 started, nor when firefox started, nor when I started playing the youtube video. It's still possible that some other plasma5 application will try to start it but I haven't seen that yet.

I'm not running the full kde5 install, only the "mini-" plasma5-plasma mega-port.

I should have shown the top output instead of the ps -ax output:
Code:
root@plasma:~ # top |grep pulseaudio

I can do reproduce it on my system aswell using the Mate desktop. Everything is clear until i play a YouTube video as example.
I was seeing that too, on the older, second quarter's "quarterly" packages, but I'm not seeing it now, on the third quarter's "quarterly" packages, so that's an improvement. To be clear, even after playing youtube videos, it has not started pulseaudio at any point. Thanks for the fix! So far, so good.

Recently I installed the latest quarterly version of plasma5 desktop, and it also requires pulseaudio. I don't want it, and the previous quarterly version of plasma5 desktop didn't require it. So it looks like I'll be using the Mate desktop instead for awhile. That's my workaround.
The culprit is accessibility/speech-dispatcher. As a workaround, you can easily rebuild it without PulseAudio support.

Back