After pkg upgrade: Firefox fails to play mp4 videos

After having upgraded Firefox-ESR streamed videos (public TV) are broken:

Code:
The video on this page can’t be played. Your system may not have the required video codecs for: video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E mp4a.40.2"

I removed ffmpeg and did pkg autoclean before installing Firefox-ESR package from the FreeBSD-repository:

Code:
New packages to be INSTALLED:
    Imath: 3.1.7 [FreeBSD]
    aom: 3.6.0 [FreeBSD]
    dav1d: 1.2.0 [FreeBSD]
    ffmpeg: 6.0,1 [FreeBSD]
    firefox-esr: 102.11.0_1,1 [FreeBSD]
    highway: 1.0.4_1 [FreeBSD]
    libass: 0.17.1_1 [FreeBSD]
    libjxl: 0.8.1 [FreeBSD]
    libpci: 3.9.0 [FreeBSD]
    libplacebo: 5.264.1 [FreeBSD]
    libunibreak: 5.1,1 [FreeBSD]
    libv4l: 1.23.0 [FreeBSD]
    libva: 2.18.0 [FreeBSD]
    libvdpau: 1.5 [FreeBSD]
    libvpx: 1.13.0 [FreeBSD]
    lua54: 5.4.4 [FreeBSD]
    openexr: 3.1.7 [FreeBSD]
    pciids: 20230411 [FreeBSD]
    shaderc: 2023.3 [FreeBSD]
    svt-av1: 1.5.0 [FreeBSD]
    vmaf: 2.3.1 [FreeBSD]
    x265: 3.4_2 [FreeBSD]

Number of packages to be installed: 22

This did not fix the problem.

I'm wondering why my thread was moved from Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages?

This is not about wanting to play some exotic video-codec. It's about having a problem since the recent ffmpeg upgrade. So it's about murky packages from the repository. Before the upgrade everything was just fine here.

Now VLC depends also on ffmpeg and playing video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E mp4a.40.2" works with VLC while faiiling with firefox-esr.

It's about having a problem since the recent ffmpeg upgrade. So it's about murky packages from the repository.
No, I'm thinking more of a bug in some port/package (maybe Firefox itself?). The process of installing or upgrading ports/packages isn't the cause. You didn't have issues with the packages themselves, those all installed and upgraded perfectly fine. Dependencies all seem correct too. The upgrade just made it surface to the top.

I had the same problem with firefox-esr. The fix was to install the ffmpeg4 (and I kept ffmpeg (v6) installed as well).

I tried firefox as well (which uninstalled firefox-esr), and it worked fine with ffmpeg v6 installed (no need for the ffmpeg4 package).

Back