Advice needed to set up FreeBSD router

Hi,

I need advice to build a FreeBSD router with a minimum of 6 NICs which can serve 1000 users with an internal Squid cache. Anyone have same experience here? If yes, please share your hardware configuration here.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a setup anywhere near that level, but I will recommend looking into two quad-port Intel NIC cards for networking. Squid depends a lot on how you configure it, what your users do, and how many do that. Keeping more objects in RAM is obvious, but with that many users I think you'll want a dedicated SSD for the squid on disk cache no matter how much RAM you have. If the usage is too heavy, you might want to consider a multi server setup using WCCP to coordinate the caches.

If you're looking for a decent 1U DIY type of solution then Soekris builds some nice products. The 6501 can be expanded to 8-ports and supports 2x m-sata SSD drives. They're a bit expensive but I've got a few of them that have been rock solid so far which as @Jeckt said, depending on your users usage patterns and what exactly you want to cache, could possibly be a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems good 1U system but the CPU very limited. Do you have any benchmark for the system like throughput in mpps?

Back