Advantages of using FreeBSD (compared to Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
fernandel Blender in ports is an older version than that posted on Blender's web site. The current version from Blender works on FreeBSD just fine, including Cycles, but you need to build it yourself. There are instructions on how to do that for FreeBSD11 on Blender's site. It takes a long time compiling on a slow machine but, the last time I did it, it wasn't bad on an i7 workstation with lots of memory.

You don't want to use Blender on a slow machine anyway.

A few years ago I ran FreeBSD exclusively. These days I usually install each new release of FreeBSD as my main workstation/server. This is a great system to learn and community is wonderful. But after a few weeks I kind of get tired of reading, manually configuring everything and solving problems. So I get back to Linux (Fedora). Using Linux for me is much easier and trouble free. In the end I ask myself - what's the point to spend time administering system and fighting its quirks when all I need is just a working desktop? FreeBSD is designed and developed as a server platform, using it as a desktop requires too much efforts with mixed results.

BTW Blender has a problem to run or better it is unusable to works Cycles Engine as long as we start to update llvm version and finally if you use llvm 3 than xorg doesn't work...I use OS X with Blender more than year and I think the future is not so brilliant too.
11.1 Release using pkg and ... Openshot can't create 3D animated titles. Audacity ... doesn't work. ffmpeg lacks lame, OpenOffice installs sound files that can't be previewed. Debian (Linux) in contrast ... all those packages work fine. Clearly a marked difference between the FreeBSD model and Linux (better package build/maintenance). I guess not that surprising as Debian can pull ahead by around 600 man years/year relative to FreeBSD. But on the other hand being core/popular desktop apps ... might have expected better. Disconcerting that with FBSD pretty much anyone can just package ... again Debian's controls are much more measured.

I haven't seen the OP's "feels faster" either, quite the contrary. Copying large files from one disk to another under ufs2 ... was a lot slower than under Debian. OpenOffice was faster to load first time around (compared to LibreOffice) ... once cached however and subsequent loads are by-eye comparable (quick).

@ tankist02 Not to dispute what you experience with setting up and Administering FreeBSD, but that does not reflect mine.

I'm building FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE on my 4th running laptop right now. I build all my regular programs from ports before ever invoking X. Once booting to the desktop I access the USB stick I save my /etc folder to so I can copy off files individually instead of editing them manually, tweak my programs (install www/firefox extensions, about:config settings, etc.) and in less than 24 hours, depending on the machine, I am done and no further work on it is required.

I always build each release from scratch instead of upgrading and get a rock solid desktop every time.

rufwoof What is your purpose in being here besides spreading FUD about FreeBSD. You give bald faced lies in other threads and now make claims which mask the truth. Are you a Debian Linuxer in disguise only here to disrupt this forum?

You are a liar and have no business disrupting this place with your cheating statements and trumped up advertisements for Debian and Linux. You should be banned as a disgrace.

What is your purpose in being here besides spreading FUD about FreeBSD. You give bald faced lies in other threads and now make claims which mask the truth. Are you a Debian Linuxer in disguise only here to disrupt this forum?

You are a liar and have no business disrupting this place with your cheating statements and trumped up advertisements for Debian and Linux. You should be banned as a disgrace.
I have made it perfectly clear that I have used Debian as my primary boot for a while now, and accurately compared my observations of that in an appropriate manner (as per this section and title of this thread) to my observations from recent reviewing FreeBSD. Please be more specific in backing up your own libelous accusations.

rufwoof I've already pointed out to you in other threads where you talk about things that are not true or you hide behind a veil as you mis-speak the truth. You can't go two sentences without bashing FreeBSD and promoting Debian. Are you getting paid for that?

One of the rules of this forum is you cannot discuss other operating systems here and you teeter on that line with every post you make.

As far as I'm concerned, you need to be banned for outrageous behavior that only disrupts this forum. In the 14 years I've been on FreeBSD forums, I am shocked you've lasted this long.

One of the rules of this forum is you cannot discuss other operating systems here and you teeter on that line with every post you make.
Well, sort of. It's true we don't allow technical and/or support questions for any other OS than FreeBSD. However, it's going to be quite difficult to have any kind of meaningful discussion regarding the differences between FreeBSD and any other OS without being able to mention that other OS. If and when it suits the discussion you are free to mention the merits of that other OS as long as the discussion stays a discussion and not a pissing contest.

In the 14 years I've been on FreeBSD forums
Judging by your sign up date it's closer to 10. The forums haven't been around for that long.

Judging by your sign up date it's closer to 10. The forums haven't been around for that long.
I first signed up with bsdforums.org in 2003 or 2004. Then went to daemonforums when bsdforums went all to hell. Then came here when this one was created. I built my first FreeBSD workstation in 2004.

I've long stated that the disadvantage of encouraging anyone to use FreeBSD is you will get the riff raff of reddit like users such as rufwoof and here we are. It's something I've noticed for the last year or two and has drug these forums down as I also notice other long time users from those days rarely visit here anymore but I do see them elsewhere.

Judging by your comment, I see this place is allowing itself to degenerate to such a low class level that I don't wish to participate in such a place anymore. No one will miss me or care but until someone PMs me that rufwoof has been banned from here, I will just leave and stick with places that don't bow to anyone that comes in here and pokes their nose.

Fundamentally I've outlined that FreeBSD core (userspace) ... good. Ports ... good. Packages ... not so good. Intended not as deflamation but as observation. That can either be shouted out in which case those issues will just continue, or be taken on board and addressed. I have even given specific examples, for instance mismatch of Openshot and Blender, Audacity, ffmpeg ... where with relatively little effort a path could be laid toward such pkg based improvements. I might even have taken such cases onboard myself, however I'll spare the admins and self impose my own FreeBSD ban. I did try to contribute to FreeBSD despite in-familiarity ... such as https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61881/ and https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61886/ Perhaps little for old hands, but I would hope perhaps beneficial in some way for other neubs.

I thank those that were helpful and informative ... especially Trihexagonal and SirDice, whose guidance has helped me set up two FreeBSD boot partitions (primary work/gui partition, secondary cli admin) alongside the two Debian partitions I have installed. Immediately after posting this however I'll wipe those two FreeBSD partitions as a incentive to maintain a self imposed FreeBSD ban. Best regards to all-bar-one. :beer:

Everybody is, of course, free to come and go as they please.

And with that I'm going to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back