Adding a user to the sudoers file for Sudo

• Thread starter Deleted member 67029
  • Start date
su -m towards zsh does not work, as security measure.
Do you have zsh as a root shell? I just run the out-of-box shells, and have never used it, but read on Wikipedia that it is now the default shell on MacOS Catalina, and on Kali Linux versions 2020.4 and up.

I use zsh as root shell. Works very fine.
But behold, for recovery i use user "toor" with oksh from the openbsd project.
I copied oksh to /bin to be certain it's always! available even when i de-install every package.
Something interesting about oksh is that it has no links do dynamic libraries. So it will always work even when you blow up your libraries.

Something interesting about oksh is that it has no links do dynamic libraries. So it will always work even when you blow up your libraries.
You can always use statically linked /rescue/{sh,csh}. But it really doesn't matter as getty, login, su are all dynamically linked.

It used to be dangerous to change root's shell from its default csh, because if you booted in single user mode to rescue a system, I think it was the only one that would be loaded. (Not sure if sh would be loaded). I don't know if that's still true because I just leave root at csh, so I've never checked.

In fact you are prompted, " Enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh".
So there is no danger as one of both will always work.

It used to be dangerous to change root's shell from its default csh, because if you booted in single user mode to rescue a system, I think it was the only one that would be loaded. (Not sure if sh would be loaded). I don't know if that's still true because I just leave root at csh, so I've never checked.
Likewise. Since I'm still "selling" su -m, I must add that it also has the virtue of allowing me to use my shell of choice as a root shell without actually changing the default root shell. xD

Back