Adding a user to the sudoers file for Sudo

• Thread starter Deleted member 67029
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67029

So, the first thing a normal person that downloads and installs sudo is want to run it right? But the application requires a user be in the sudoers file first, so you'd think you would ask to add people during installation right? lol, well that doesn't happen. So, then ok you are going to check the manual... you'd think it will be at the start, because this is the first thing a normal person is going to need to do.. manual page doesn't even tell you how it's done! lol

Can somebody please tell me, how does one add a user to the sudoers file?!

mer, visudo is broken. It doesn't let me type anything. Got any ideas?

Forget it mate, this application is a pile of shit. I am uninstalling it.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Alain, you urgently need to find yourself a woman. Hanging out on a forum without purpose in life with your grainy photo from 1998 isn't doing you any good.
I'd like to offer a suggestion, if I may.

Responses like this, while they may be momentarily satisfying, are going to hurt you in the long run.
Respect, like pretty much everything else in life is earned, not demanded. What you give you get back.

Ask questions if you have them, don't complain about something not working like you think it should when people are trying to help.
I'm hitting reply before you get tossed.

The visudo:
As root do the following command:
echo "username ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /usr/local/etc/sudoers.d/users

Of course, substitute the desired username for "username" in the echo command.

I'm guessing that we've thoroughly flogged this particular horse.
I think these threads are a decent example of "how NOT to ask for help" or "don't insult the people you're asking to help you".

Time to move on and wait for the next one.

Patience is an odd characteristic for someone with ADD, it's certainly something I had to learn to deal with. He managed to get a dubious record though, I've never seen this many reports in such a short time all reporting the same person. So, everyone that hit the report button, thanks for that.

Reactions: mer
I was going for a temporary ban at first but the latest insult Kolusion just directed at me got him permanently banned.
Kolusion was actually pointing out things that confuse newbies and fixing them would make the installation process (or other things) smoother/easier. But his inability to use any social filters + seeing things in black and white was bound to result in this. I have worked with a couple of people like him and have seen this movie play out the same way. So it goes.

Kolusion was actually pointing out things that confuse newbies and fixing them would make the installation process (or other things) smoother/easier.
No matter how easy you try to make FreeBSD, it will never cater for such individuals. They don't want to learn and so they blame the work of others.

The only way FreeBSD could cater for such people is if it was a colouring book and not an operating system.

I'm more inclined to think it's a troll, and a skillful one.
He was a troll, but not a skilled one. On the contrary, quite a bland, predictable and boring one.

For me I am convinced about troll because of the plethora of questions he immediately raised after SirDice closed most of his existing threads. It always followed the same scheme: asking question about a well understood topic, and pretending there's an issue or he's not understanding something. Like this copying thread.

Then waiting for the first response, and having some trolling fun. If he would have had ADD instead I would have expected him to ask the same questions again, which were not answered yet fully, but he did not that. Instead new questions in new areas and new sub forums.

That's for me a way too determined behaviour to maximise attention and get new people to answer him, which clearly indicates for me troll, and speaks against ADD.

It won't help you but coming in BSD World I switched from 'sudo' to 'doas' which is really simple to configure compared to 'sudo'.
For my needs 'doas' is well enough.

Reactions: mer
Using su(1) instead of sudo(8) makes sense in certain cases. The plus point of sudo(8) is also it's Achilles' heel, you use the same password as for your 'regular' account. So if/when an account gets bruteforced (guessed, stolen, whatever) attackers will also be able to execute sudo(8) commands because they managed to grab/steal/borrow the password for the account.

Back