ACPI support needed for building port of nvidia driver?

I have a PNY Verto GeForce GT 430 card 2048MB ddr3 and i'm building the x11/nvidia-driver-340 port. I see ACPI probes in 'dmesg' so my system is ACPI, but I don't know enough about hardware to know how it integrates back and forth with the video card and other devices / parts of the motherboard, and if I need to build ACPI support from the port as well for the nvidia driver. I'm not using the nvidia-driver-390 driver because that caused a lot of problems with window managers and whatever I did the display would hang after a random amount of time. I'm looking for the best stability / compatibility for my video card while trying to avoid future issues of it locking up my display. I did get the 340 driver to work before without ACPI support built in, but I wasn't able to test it extensively to see if it would crash because I had to do a clean reinstall of FreeBSD (corrupted filesystem that fsck couldn't fix). Do I need to build ACPI support on the nvidia-driver-340 port? The default build option is deselected.

I built the nvidia-driver-340 port with ACPI_PM support. Thought I was in the clear because it worked for the longest it ever has without crashing.. but nope. I was in gnome compiling some code while firefox was playing a youtube video and the display hung again (black screen, white/grey rectangles). I tapped the power button for a sec and it shutdown / rebooted properly. 'fsck -y' gave a "ufs: bad dir on root / mangled entry" error IIRC. If I try to enter that directory and "make deinstall", and "make reinstall" the port I was compiling when it crashed, I get a kernel panic. I really don't know why my nvidia card isn't supported, or even why this keeps happening. The only other thing I can think of is getting the nvidia X server settings app and setting "performance max" and seeing if it crashes again. But I'm wondering if it's even worth doing that. Not sure where to go from here.

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled

Please: which version of FreeBSD, exactly? (I see 13.0 in some of your posts, unfortunately some posts have disappeared, I can no longer tell whether you upgraded.)

freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU

fsck -y gave a "ufs: bad dir on root / mangled entry" error IIRC. …

Better use ZFS. Can you start afresh, if you have not already done so?

Also, there's a significant UFS bug in 13.0-RELEASE⋯ that will not be fixed in any patch to 13.0-RELEASE⋯.

… If I try to enter that directory and "make deinstall", and "make reinstall" the port I was compiling when it crashed, I get a kernel panic. …

Such panics may be expected if the (UFS) file system is not as it should be. Parts of the topic below might be of interest, although as a whole it's a rather punshing read:

Side note, gentle hint:

Back