Accessing ms-ldm-data partitions

Using HDT :-

v0.4.1 - shows the partitions as 'Linux swap (sharing disk with DR'
v0.5.2 - shows the partitions as 'SFS (Secure Filesystem)'

so there's some doubt about what the filesystem is...

I think (not sure, can't confirm) ms-ldm-data is a dynamic drive but it could also be storage space.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737048.aspx
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

The most probable one appears to be dynamic drive or volume:
On GPT disks, the database is contained in a 1-MB reserved (hidden) partition known as the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) Metadata partition.

It's the only one with references to Logical Disk Manager (LDM).

Hello,

If any need,
geom_part_ldm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
or compile options GEOM_PART_LDM in the kernel.
After the installation of the custom kernel in the /dev/ were found device with Name like in the glabel:
Code:
fbsd  ➜  ~ » glabel list ada1p3s1
Geom name: ada1p3s1
Providers:
1. Name: ntfs/Media
   Mediasize: 499971522560 (466G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 135266304
   Mode: r1w0e0
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 976506880
   length: 499971522560
   index: 0

In my case the full path to the volume is /dev/ntfs/Media.
With *ntfs-3g* the volume was mounted successfully.

Regards.

If any need, then must be "options GEOM_PART_LDM" in the kernel.
After the installation of the custom kernel in the "/dev/" were found device with Name like in the glabel:
I don't think you need to recompile the kernel for this. Doesn't it work with geom_part_ldm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf?

Doesn't it work with geom_part_ldm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf?

I already on the new kernel and no this option in the /boot/defaults/loader.conf

Code:
fbsd  ➜  ~ » grep ldm /boot/defaults/loader.conf
fbsd  ➜  ~ » uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0: Wed Mar 14 13:00:36 +07 2018     root@fbsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CSTM  amd64

Never edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf! Always put your changes in /boot/loader.conf.

Recently played with this and got it working. A couple of things. In order to mount a ms-ldm-data partition (mine was mirror set), yes, you have to load the geom. This can be done in /boot/loader.conf at boot or via "geom part_ldm load". After loading the geom, I had to delete and recreate the md (via mdconfig) then I could mount the slice (ntfs-3g /dev/mdXsY /ntfsmirror).

Recently played with this and got it working. A couple of things. In order to mount a ms-ldm-data partition (mine was mirror set), yes, you have to load the geom. This can be done in /boot/loader.conf at boot or via "geom part_ldm load". After loading the geom, I had to delete and recreate the md (via mdconfig) then I could mount the slice (ntfs-3g /dev/mdXsY /ntfsmirror).
I stuck on "I had to delete and recreate the md (via mdconfig)". Could you please describe what have you done? I'm not able to remove md because it looks like not existing...

Back