About to plan to create a video series about FreeBSD to use as a Desktop.

Hello.

I'm planning to do a new and updated video series about FreeBSD 13.0 and 13.1 for the desktop usage. I use it since 1 year and I've learnt the basics to use it as desktop. I see that on youtube there aren't so much FreeBSD fresh video tutorials,so there is the needing to refresh them. I can do it,even because I need to earn some money and my hope is to be able to create a good amount of monetised youtube videos. For sure I want to be sure to follow the best practice,so I will ask here if you want to change something in the methods that I want to use to enable / install tools and services. I want also to link this nice place under the videos,inviting the users to ask for more explanations. What do you think about this idea ?

Robonuggie has done several and they aren't too old. I don't think we need more. It's more important to tell people to follow the Handbook.

I don't agree totally with you because I've realized by myself that the handbook is not tailored for everyone. It's very important to respect the different methods that the human brain uses to process the informations.

I'd say if you think it's a good idea, do it. And don't listen to anyone that's being negative saying you shouldn't do it. It would help people just starting out with FreeBSD, that want to get up and running with a basic desktop and GUI to try out the OS. "We" don't need more. LOL. What elitist garbage. (referring to the comment, not a person)

Make some good videos.

You don't need to monetize. Freebsd does not have adverts and is free itself.

I have no time for videos. Because sometimes a video taking an hour can be reduced in a two-pager A4 read in two minutes.
A video is good when you explain some things ...i.e. "this because of" ...
PS: This thread is normally for posting full howto's already thought about.

If you would make a video, i like this as a nice example,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oG-1U5AI9A

I can imagine that you have no time. But I have it,because I'm retired from job. But I'm an hobbyist. From time to time I will need the help of the community to perfect the methods used inside the videos tutorial,so I will ask here for more clarifications. I've learn a lot from this place and I can make a good amount of fresh videos. For sure they will be not related to FreeBSD as a server,because I use it as a home desktop. I didn't find a better section where to place this thread. If you have it,you can move it. Oh no,man,I can't explain the theory behind a procedure,I haven't been trained for this. I can only show what to do. You can be sure that no one on youtube make the video tutorials explaining so well why something should be done in that way.

Youtube is a special environment attracting groups who demand entertainment.

Regarding FreeBSD on YT there is little what needs to be added, except professional advice that meets some higher quality standards.

Just another FreeBSD intro to newbie-desktop-installations is a waste of YT resources and a waste of time for those viewing. The YT-feature to speedup the playing rate, saves a little wasted living time.

When stumbling upon such videos I often ask myself, what the real motivation for producing was and what personal needs have been satisfied by doing so.

Maybe some of us want to link a few really good FreeBSD YT-videos here which can be a benchmark of worth viewing.

I don't want to create "newbie-desktop-installations" pure videos,anyway. For example to learn how to configure SSHFS,Apache and Wordpress,how to update and upgrade sources and packages,how to configure and run a bhyve virtual machine based on Linux and Windows,and so on,aren't pure "newbie-desktop-installation" videos.

This is exactly how ziomario should *not* do his videos. He is not doing a "lecture" series, he is doing tutorials. Doing this approach will put his viewers to sleep and will stop watching only at a fragment of the way. If that were to happen, it would hurt his video's total watch time statistics from his Youtube channel's analytics, which is crucial for him to earn money since advertisers would only care about videos that are the most engaging to viewers. This also won't get him many subscribers, which also hurts his earning potential.

Although in the end, it's him that's making the videos. However he approaches them is his prerogative.

If that were to happen, it would hurt his video's total watch time statistics from his Youtube channel's analytics, which is crucial for him to earn money since advertisers would only care about videos that are the most engaging to viewers. This also won't get him many subscribers, which also hurts his earning potential.
Ha! Here it is. The goal wasting dumb viewers time is that what is really wanted. The content does not matter, entertainment matters most.

Switching off the autoplay is the first thing I do when I "need" to use YT.

how to configure and run a bhyve virtual machine based on Linux
It would be very interesting. Just as it would be interesting to see/hear about VirtualBox on FreeBSD host (including working with usb>=2.0 inside VB's VM, if this is somehow possible... I know that now it is impossible to use anyting other than usb 1.x inside VB's VM on FreeBSD - there is no Extension/GuestAddition for it).

Wondering if it ever came to your mind asking for your interest/problem here in the FreeBSD forums? Why waiting for some video?

maybe because he is sure that no one has been able to do that ? maybe he hopes that in the future someone will find a trick to unlock that feature. And yes,this challenge intrigues me. As well as I'm intrigued by the virtualization of MacOS with Virtualbox.

getopt,​

Of course I always look for information here first.
But one (this Forum) does not interfere with the other (Youtube). I think.

Why is writing a post here in the forum less attractive than waiting for a video?

that's a good point. In my opinion,yes it can be more attractive and I don't think its bad if someone prefer to learn something using a video tutorial than reading a lot of confusing written stuff on internet. Did u realize how many contradictory informations are accumulated on internet, in the various forums due to the changes that occur in the operating procedures ? and how much time is wasted searching for relevant informations ? Can you put yourself in the shoes of those people who do not have a background in computer science and do not know what and how to look for ? why do we always have to take the point of view of those people who know what to do or that they can know what to look with a little effort ? are they lazy ? Everyone is lazy ? I think that ignorance can also be fought by leveraging a dose of entertainment. For sure I don't like the spectacularization nor the excessive technicalization, that's usually boring.

ziomario
See, you have been very honest in your OP by saying you want to make some money with YT. Nothing wrong with that, as you probably know that YT is making more money with you and you have to abandon all rights to them first.

YT offers workshops, has guides on how to become a successful Youtuber. You also admit that it will be more easy going entertainment - all fine with me.

But why would one start with FreeBSD related stuff? It's easier with cats, dog food, promoting make-up, having a cool haircut and behaving like a true Italian macho. Even starting with showing how to use MS-Windows will make your start on YT much much easier.

I'm not interested to become a successful youtuber. I need only some more money to live decently. I'm poor. I need to increase my income by 200 euros for some time. So,I don't want to put a LOT of efforts making videos for youtube. I'm not a fan of the entertainment,I'm a system admin (I mean I have this hobby). I see that on youtube there are a LOT of video tutorials based on Linux,for example. Why would one start with Linux related stuff ? But they do. I suppose there are people tired of Linux,because even this good OS has its own limits and this can push people to look further. The same that's happened to me. I was tired by the Ubuntu packaging and dependencies problems and at one point I've took the decision to try something new.

Question is: What do you have to do + what audience events must happen so that you get paid by YT €100 in a month.

Do you have the information on those "prerequisites"?
If not get the information before starting to invest your time.

Get in contact with those having produced FreeBSD videos on YT.
Ask them if they earned any money from YT.

You will need to gather 1000 subscribers and have at least 4000 public view hours before you can even apply. Many content creators have been making videos for several years before they got a chance to monetize their videos. So, please don't think you can make money by posting a couple of videos. It takes a lot of work, constantly posting videos, building a community, before youtube will even consider giving you a (small) portion of the ad revenue.

I think it's sad that a person who wants to promote or usage of FreeBSD as a platform is being put down by the very same community of the platform itself. Instead of offering words of encouragement; you're already criticizing and detracting something they haven't even started yet. I'm seeing a lot of Linux-like attitude in these forums lately. It's really pathetic.

have no time for videos. Because sometimes a video taking an hour can be reduced in a two-pager A4 read in two minutes.
A video is good when you explain some things ...i.e. "this because of" ...
PS: This thread is normally for posting full howto's already thought about.

This is not "just a video", but an entire presentation. Tutorials and presentations are entirely different formats of conveying information.

To the OP; I would start off with picking a topic, then make a "concept walkthrough" of the topic you choose in the base system. For example, you can explain networking, then FreeBSD's approach to it; followed by a short demo (using ifconfig, etc etc). The length of the video doesn't matter; but more how the video is structured. Make good use of timestamps too so people can quickly traverse forward or backward through a video if they want to save time repeating something. These tools are built in Youtube.

The more people we have spreading the word for FreeBSD, the better. No matter the approach.

I think it's sad that a person who wants to promote or usage of FreeBSD as a platform is being put down by the very same community of the platform itself. Instead of offering words of encouragement; you're already criticizing and detracting something they haven't even started yet. I'm seeing a lot of Linux-like attitude in these forums lately. It's really pathetic.
They stated they need money. Do you consider FreeBSD tutorials a viable source of income?

Back