About the freebsd product, please take seriously.

Carpetsmoker said:
it is very different from FreeBSD, which **just works** out of the box.

Work out of the box if you like using old apps and ports

I've been tring to build the latest gnome and have had nothing but problems

ossnet said:
Carpetsmoker said:
Maybe it can be configured to sensible settings, but it is very different from FreeBSD, which **just works** out of the box.
Work out of the box if you like using old apps and ports

I've been tring to build the latest gnome and have had nothing but problems

You mean the latest gnome from ports or the latest source download from the gnome site?

The version in ports is not old, although it is not the newest version either, but it takes time&manpower to port applications, especially big&complicated applications like gnome.
Also consider that gnome is primarily developed for Linux, and that porting it to FreeBSD takes additional time&effort.

The fact that the latest gnome is not in the ports collection is exactly in line with my point earlier, better a slightly older version that works well and is stable, then a newer version which is buggy and doesn't work as stable.

I had no issues installing Gnome 2.24 a few weeks ago. I had a few bugs and daemon issues that I had to track down, but the compile itself went fine.

Gnome 2.26.0 is out, but I'd strongly advise you to wait until the .1 release if history is any guide. The .0 releases usually has a lot of bugs.

smartly said:
[*]Quicker software update
Gnome 2.26 is release, but only found gnome 2.24 in ports.(Example..)

Have you looked at Debian lately? Talk about behind the times. Yeah, I know, that is "by design" but in some cases you'll find packages with security issues still at old levels when they should be advanced to newer releases.

FreeBSD port maintainers seem to be on to such issues, at least with commonly used software, a little bit faster.

I've been using FreeBSD for more than 10 years now; recently had to take on managing some Debian (latest, "Lenny / 5.0") management and I'm frequently finding FreeBSD ports to be much more up to date.

I like ports.

And when I need something newer, working directly with the source of the source is fine with me.

As for booting and such - I'm of no opinion. Many of my machines only get booted once a year or however frequently I need to do an OS update for security reasons.

smartly said:
Example(Booting) picture:

Tell me - how does this screen - devoid of actual information - enhance the computing experience?

It is Unix. Embrace it. Don't fear the daemon.

(I realize the Blue Oyster Cult reference is going to make no sense in this cross-cultural discussion but... I like the song.)

i installed gnome from ports and it works just fine. i dont know why you absolutely have to have 2.26. you can upgrade from 2.24.

colored ls and all that crap... whats the point? if you look about 2 inches to the left, you can tell by the first field in the file permissions what it is, executable, directory, whatever.

like other people have said, the boot messages are exactly what 99% of freebsd users want. so i dont see it being changed any time soon. you CAN have a bootsplash if you want.

boot time... someone already said, configure a custom kernel so it wont be loading all those unnecessary modules and your boot time will improve.

I just really need _native_ UTF-8 support (and no .. works around are a no go).. that's all ...

Although getting a higher screen res on boot (vidcontrol && allscreens_flags in /etc/rc.conf works only after boot sequence completed) wouldn't hurt either .. but it just isn't imperative for me as fully native UTF-8 is

If you want some color in your boot messages, recompile your kernel and make good use of the vesa options:

Code:
# Vesa support and options
options     VESA            # Soporte para VESA (man sc)
options     SC_PIXEL_MODE   # syscons res
options     SC_NORM_ATTR=(FG_WHITE|BG_BLACK) # The normal text will be white on black background
#options     SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR=(FG_LIGHTRED|BG_BLACK) # Kernel message will be printed red on black
options     SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR=(FG_WHITE|BG_RED) # Kernel message will be white on red background

Take a look at the sc(4) pages.

Well that's good news then!

Thanks for letting me know about it phoenix :)

Is there a link or a wip page somewhere about that?

Regards

I don't think there's a progress page anywhere, but I've never looked for one. There are several long threads on the freebsd-current@ mailing list. You can search the archives (link in .sig below) for more details.

Back