a word of warning regarding ZFS in 8.1

I don't think you have to rebuild world to apply the zfsloader patch to have it work. I originally tried that, but after reloading the server from scratch, then applying the patch, I was able to boot from the second drive with primary missing.

I cannot believe this still hasn't been backported from -STABLE to 8.1 as an errata fix. This is absurd.

Jago said:
I cannot believe this still hasn't been backported from -STABLE to 8.1 as an errata fix. This is absurd.
Not really since booting from ZFS is not officially supported.

Jago said:
Source? As of 8.0-RELEASE, ZFS is no longer labeled "experimental".
Booting from a ZFS device has nothing to do with ZFS being labeled experimental.
The last time you installed FreeBSD do you remember any option to use ZFS fs in the installer ?

gkontos said:
Booting from a ZFS device has nothing to do with ZFS being labeled experimental.
The last time you installed FreeBSD do you remember any option to use ZFS fs in the installer ?
So a feature being (or not) available via sysinstall is the measure of "official support"? Since when? Are you trying to say that GPT partitioning and gjournal among other things are "not officially supported"? You can't be serious.

Jago said:
So a feature being (or not) available via sysinstall is the measure of "official support"? Since when? Are you trying to say that GPT partitioning and gjournal among other things are "not officially supported"? You can't be serious.
I don't speak for the FreeBSD release engineer team. You can take your complaints with them.

Best regards,

George

gkontos said:
I don't speak for the FreeBSD release engineer team. You can take your complaints with them.

Best regards,

George
You do speak for yourself and not the FreeBSD release engineering team when you make claims like "ZFS boot is not officially supported", which have no basis on reality.

Conclusion: this is probably not the right place to vent or address your grievances ...

Back