Other A unionfs cannot be nfs mounted?

I have a directory /nfsexport/fbsd112 (with a whole FreeBSD root) and two empty directories /nfsexport/union and
/nfsexport/union. I do first cd /nfsexport.

The command mount_nfs 10.0.0.1:/nfsexport/fbsd112 test succeds, but not the following:

Code:
# mount_unionfs -o below fbsd112/ union
# mount_nfs 10.0.0.1:/nfsexport/union test
[tcp] 10.0.0.1:/nfsexport/union: Permission denied

Is it so, that a unionfs cannot be nfs mounted?

I need such a thing in order not to have for every discless client a coppy of each file of FreeBSD root.

Any Idea what to do?

I tried also with PXE boot: the discless client does not boot if the root is a unionfs.

Are you sure you are mounting them in the right order? Also, is the top layer read-write?

Could you try also via fusefs-unionfs?

Bash:
 pkg install fusefs-unionfs

mkdir /nfsexport/mnt
unionfs \
    -o cow,max_files=32768 \
    -o noatime,allow_other,use_ino,suid,nonempty \
    "/nfsexport/union"=RW:"/nfsexport/fbsd112"=RO \
    "/nfsexport/mnt"
# and then try exporting /nfsexport/mnt

P.S. mount_unionfs has the following warning in its man page:
BUGS
THIS FILE SYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM. USE AT YOUR OWN
RISK. BEWARE OF DOG. SLIPPERY WHEN WET. BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.

By the way, what are you trying to achieve exactly?
Do you want to have /nfsexport/fbsd112 as a read-only layer on the bottom and then mount a remote NFS share on top of it as a R-W customization?
In this case you could do the following:

1. Mount the NFS share in a directory first.
2. Then mount via unionfs /nfsexport/fbsd112 as a R/O on the bottom and the NFS mounted directory as R/W on the top. Mount them into a brand new directory, for example /nfsexport/mnt.

Do you want to have /nfsexport/fbsd112 as a read-only layer on the bottom and then mount a remote NFS share on top of it as a R-W customization?

Yes, that, but all must be nfs mounted: the client is diskless and I need at the very beginning a root with /boot, an /etc/fstab, a /sbin/init and something more (eg. some /etc/rcXXX and dependencies).

I have no experience with fuse. I will try first making the unions in the client after nfs exporting.

Back