A suggestion

I have a suggestion. I do know that the moderator/admin team is extremely busy. I recently had a thread of mine moved to another forum. The move was a good one as the new forum was more appropriate for the content of my thread. However, I initially thought that my thread was deleted. Would it be possible if a moderator/administrator could please put a redirection link in the original forum so members know where their posts are?

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Happy Holidays! :beergrin

You should always be able to find your posts by using the "View your posts" option in the top menu (directly below "Board index"). If you click that option you'll immediately get an overview of all your posts, which should include any posts which got moved to another section.

I think that's the easiest way to find your old posts again.

Edit:

Even better, it seems that it is a static link, meaning so much that you could even add it to your browser favourites list. Then you can always visit whenever you want. Obviously you do need to be logged in ;)

hitest said:
Would it be possible if a moderator/administrator could please put a redirection link in the original forum so members know where their posts are?
That is actually the default. We'd need to explicitly uncheck the "Leave shadow topic in place" option if we want to move something without leaving a redirect.

Edit: FWIW: I don't think it's possible to add redirects ex post facto, so you'll probably just have to remember this one. If you know who moved your thread - or at least which thread it was - you could ask the moderator in question why no redirect was left.

fonz said:
If you know who moved your thread - or at least which thread it was - you could ask the moderator in question why no redirect was left.

Greetings @fonz! Thank you for your swift replies. Yes. After a time I did locate my thread using the view posts option. That is indeed a very helpful feature! Here is my thread that was moved from the Installing and Upgrading forum to the Installation and Maintenance of Ports and Packages Forum. http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43948 I do not know who moved my thread so I cannot ask him/her why a re-direct was not put in place.

Happy Holidays. :beergrin

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record: vBulletin (our previous boardware) allowed a temporary thread redirect that would expire (default: one week). phpBB only has the permanent redirect, and given the shitload of topics posted in wrong sub-forums, that would cause an enormous clutter everywhere. So I do not use the redirect feature, and I advise mods and admins against using it. Indeed: you can easily find your own posts when in doubt.

DutchDaemon said:
So I do not use the redirect feature, and I advise mods and admins against using it. Indeed: you can easily find your own posts when in doubt.

Thanks for clearing that up. It would have been nice if you had informed me of the thread move. As I indicated I was briefly under the impression that all of my posts had been removed. Until today I had no need to use the View Your Posts feature of this forum. You take the time to edit my posts. You could have sent me a PM about the move. Just my two cents worth.
Cheers. :beergrin

DutchDaemon said:
Indeed: you can easily find your own posts when in doubt.
FWIW, this does not help people who are lurking and reading the moved thread. It might make sense to leave a shadow topic for "hot" threads that do not get moved right away. On the other hand, people can always use the search feature.

Back