Closed A kidnapped thread on Torbrowser and FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to point to The Tor BSD Diversity Project (TDP) which is an initiative seeking to extend the use of the BSD Unix in the Tor network.

They recently brought Tor Browser 7.0.5 to OpenBSD ports as a first step, then FreeBSD will follow. :)

There you can find also a FreeBSD Guide to Configuring Tor Relays with useful hints also for those not running a relay. I.e. they recommend using the security/tor-devel port because this one has the actual attention of the developers and the latest patches.

I guess might look into that at some point. Tor browser is something i want to use myself. It'll likely take some time though as Tor browser is not really essential for me and i can't justify doing any more multi hour builds right now.

And here is the port without linuxulator (Experimental)
And having seen this:

Which is a brutal downgrade with outdated dependencies I like to issue a strong WARNING. Do not mess with your security using suspect sources.
You might get hurt.

This looks to me like METIN2 & friends.

Its an ongoing effort to port it i think that is why it says experimental. I use latest version with linuxulator.

Its an ongoing effort to port it i think that is why it says experimental.
Saying this here is trying to fool others. Experimental is a term for new projects heading for progress.

It is misguiding others calling this "experimental" because that suspect repo is trying to make outdated software with security flaws reusable.

While the Tor Project is comitted to fix security problems, this repo is making old versions usable again and thus reusing old security bugs. Such behavior is also known from criminals and from agencies of autocratic countries.

Its real, it can connect and work fine. When i realized that i could run latest Firefox under linuxulator, i gave a try to Tor Browser and it worked fine too.

just like that? no extra customisation ?
I tried it again today and its impossible:
I am on 12.1 btw

Code:
Oct 21 12:54:06.786 [notice] Read configuration file "/home/chris/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc-defaults".
Oct 21 12:54:06.786 [notice] Read configuration file "/home/chris/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc".
Oct 21 12:54:06.788 [notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9151
Oct 21 12:54:06.788 [notice] Opened Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9151
Oct 21 12:54:06.788 [notice] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.

The problem is that the Linux's binary tor (the one that is bundled with the tor-browser) is looking
for the libevent library (then stops)
maybe is possible by "cooking" the startup file so use the FreeBSD security/tor instead
of the Linux one, bit "hybrid" solution...

Code:
#!/bin/sh

SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
USR_DIRECTORY=$(readlink -f $(dirname $SCRIPT)/..)
TOR_PATH="/opt/tor/Browser/firefox"

export FONTCONFIG_PATH="/opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/fontconfig"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/steam-utils/lib64/fakeudev:/lib64/nss:/opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/steam-utils/lib64/webfix/webfix.so

#"$TOR_PATH" --ppapi-flash-path="/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libpepflashplayer.so" --no-sandbox --no-zygote --in-process-gpu --v=0 "$@"
#"$TOR_PATH"
apulse "$TOR_PATH" --class "Tor Browser" --ProfileManager

Adjust the binary location, export the correct /opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor location, it is going to be different. i run it under chroot, so you may need to change shebang if you don`t. (Chroot was the way for me) You need apulse, if you want sound.

Everything comes from https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/compat-linux-microsoft-teams.75356/

I now can run Chromium 88 Linux version and Google Chrome 86 (Not chromium) with netflix support under linuxulator centos 7.

You need to export tor`s libevent library /opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/libevent-2.1.so.7 (For me directory is /opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor/)

It will be different for you. Do it and you will be able to run it. I had to run it under chroot though.

Change this line accordingly

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/steam-utils/lib64/fakeudev:/lib64/nss:/opt/tor/Browser/TorBrowser/Tor

Code:
libcrypto.so.1.1
libevent-2.1.so.7
libssl.so.1.1

That`s of course the right way to use Tor. I`m just trying to show that your hack opened many doors for linuxulator. Chromium(linux), chrome(linux), brave browser, vivaldi, firefox(linux) and more to come... All working, DRM services like Amazon video, netflix etc.. are working now. This is all done thanks to you.

Is there a reason why people don't just run a tor socks proxy and point their firefox towards that (including DNS resolution as part of socks5)?

Better still if you firewall all outgoing except via tor so nothing erroneously leaks through.

Reactions: a6h
Your 10% skill is someone`s %50 skill but i understand what you are saying. Still, you have helped many for free(including me), that`s another reason to be flattered. Actually, you don`t need any flattery, i`m sure people are aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back