A few problems with gnome 2.26

Hello, I have just finished installing the new Gnome version, and I have a couple of problems which I couldn't fix myself.

First, I would like Gnome to respect my locale settings. Everything's in English now, although I set my locale definitions in three different files.
Second, I cannot shut down the computer with GDM. When I click on the Restart or Shut down button, it says: Failed to restart (shutdown) the computer.

Thanks in advance:)

Thanks:) I saw both of these threads, and I must admit I was too fast and judged the book by the cover - setting the gdm_lang influences not only gdm but also the gnome environment language. Strange thing is that it's been impossible to change language before this variable was set. Anyway, it's ok for me now:)
As for shutdown issue, the thread describes a problem that is not quite the one I'm experiencing; I don't even have System->Shutdown option (just logoff), because I need every local user to be able to shutdown or reboot the system. Until now I was using GDM shutdown/restart options, but they don't seem to work anymore - the only effect of their work is popping out the window with message "shutdown / restart failed":)
I've been also trying to set Hal policies for shutdown with Gnome Control Center, but I can't edit any option (even as root!) - the confirm button is just "grayed out". Another strange behavior?

Back