8.0-RELEASE & CVSup

I am using 8.0-CURRENT and update once a week, using cvsup via cron.

Code:
    *default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/usr
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs [color="Red"][B]tag=.[/B][/color]
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    *default compress
    src-all
    ports-all tag=.
    doc-all tag=.
    cvsroot-all

If I understand correctly, when 8 is released, *default tag=. will go to 9-CURRENT, which I don't want.

The question, what would be the affect of changing the *default tag=. to *default tag=.RELENG_8 at this time since 8 has not been released?

It will throw errors and you won't get any source code, because that repository simply won't exist until 8-RELEASE hits the scene. It's
Code:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
by the way.

Thanks.

Dang dot. Just won't go away.

I'm curious, have you heard any rumors on the release date for 8? I see the code has been frozen.

So now's a good time to change

Code:
*default release=cvs tag=.

to

Code:

if you're running 8-CURRENT and don't want to be bumped to 9-CURRENT shortly ;)
(assuming that the bleeding-edge-installers don't feel the need to track release only ...)

DutchDaemon said:
It will throw errors and you won't get any source code, because that repository simply won't exist until 8-RELEASE hits the scene. It's
Code:
by the way.

Actually it will not throw any errors, it will just silently remove everything under /usr/src, because it (mistakenly?) thinks you want to sync to an empty repo.

brd@ said:
Actually it will not throw any errors, it will just silently remove everything under /usr/src, because it (mistakenly?) thinks you want to sync to an empty repo.

Hmm I just tried

Code:

and it seems to be working. I didn't have anything in /usr/src and it's grabing files now and filling it up.

- Erne.

ernie said:
Hmm I just tried

and it seems to be working. I didn't have anything in /usr/src and it's grabing files now and filling it up.

- Erne.

I think the cvs tag was created a few days ago in preparation for the eventual release of FreeBSD 8.

Voltar said:
I think the cvs tag was created a few days ago in preparation for the eventual release of FreeBSD 8.

I will do a buildworld when it's finished downloading from cvs and see what I get. I am just testing stuff so it doesn't matter if I have to blow it away again.

- Ernie.

PSY0NIC said:
Is anyone else not able to install cvsup on beta 3? Ran pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui on fresh install and getting:

Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tbz: File Unavailable

Error: Unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tbz' by URL

You don't need cvsup. csup has been in the base OS since 6.3 I think. For just the basics it works exactly like cvsup.

PSY0NIC said:
Is anyone else not able to install cvsup on beta 3? Ran pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui on fresh install and getting:

Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tbz: File Unavailable

Error: Unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tbz' by URL

Built it from ports. Thanks. However, I just noticed, I can't pkg_add -r anything. Guess BETA3 has either regressed or the repositories are not in sync yet.

PS. I installed from the USB img file if that might have had something to do with it. Might try from CD later.

PSY0NIC said:
That's the default on the BETA3-USB.img install. Downloading CD now to see if it suffers the same issue.

Process was
1) download 8.0-BETA3-i386-memstick.img
2) write to USB stick
3) install
--> minimal install
4) reboot
5) pkg_add -r (Any package) results in above errors.

Tried again using the DVD install this time. Same result.
New problem detected, when trying to do install from DVD when selecting media, despite being in sysinstall booted off the DVD, sysinstall tells you no drives detected for source media for install. Finished minimal install from ftp.

PSY0NIC said:
That's the default on the BETA3-USB.img install. Downloading CD now to see if it suffers the same issue.

Process was
1) download 8.0-BETA3-i386-memstick.img
2) write to USB stick
3) install
--> minimal install
4) reboot
5) pkg_add -r (Any package) results in above errors.

It's not an "error" per se. It's just that the release team is still in the BETA phase, so they haven't built a complete set of packages and put them up in the normal locations on the FTP servers. Just before 8.0 is released, the full set of packages will be available in the normal spots.

Until then, either don't use pkg_add -r, or set the PACKAGESITE* environment variables to point to the 8-stable FTP directory (as shown in a post above).

phoenix said:
It's not an "error" per se. It's just that the release team is still in the BETA phase, so they haven't built a complete set of packages and put them up in the normal locations on the FTP servers. Just before 8.0 is released, the full set of packages will be available in the normal spots.

Until then, either don't use pkg_add -r, or set the PACKAGESITE* environment variables to point to the 8-stable FTP directory (as shown in a post above).

Most greatful for the reply and clearing up my confusion. Thought the installation media was busted as I had 0 problems on Beta2.

phoenix said:

Just tried setting environment variable to point to the stable url posted above and it still doesn't work. Oh well... Guess Beta3 is worse off the Beta2 and I'll just have to wait.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Back