7.1-Release to 8.1-Release w/raid5

I am a newbie to this forum so please be gentle...

7.1-Release was running wonderfully. I followed the instructions for the FreeBSD Update. All was going well until the first "shutdown -r now" and the box didn't come back. This is not a critical system so I have the luxury to play.

I went to the console and it was at a:
Code:
root mount error
try to mount from ufs:/dev/aacd0s1a
and the rest of the recomendation about rebooting and editing fstab...I could boot from a cd and reinstall but that would be no fun.

after hacking...I can get it to a # prompt by entering /dev/aacd0 but the system is munged (technical term).

? reveals
Code:
ufsid/4d2f41f404404dc0 ufsid/4d2f41f46156b62b ufsid/4d2f42059bf43035 ufsid/4d2f41f4e3c83449 aacd0f aacd0e aacd0d aacd0b aacd0a aacd0 acd0 fd0 

fstab
/dev/aacd0slb             none               swap              sw
/dev/aacd0s1a             /                  ufs               rw
/dev/aacd0s1e             /tmp               ufs               rw
/dev/aacd0s1f             /usr               ufs               rw
/dev/aacd0s1d             /var               ufs               rw
any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

It's most likely due to a stale copy of the disklabel. I've had the same issue but with a 'regular' harddrive. This seemed to solve it (make a backup though!):

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/aacd0 count=1 oseek=1

implemented the command as stated; rebooted; after the post and bios messages, I get nothing... not even a boot device not found.

Am I reinstalling? or is there a recovery method?

Hmmm... It's not supposed to do nothing. It's supposed to boot properly. Did you make a back up of that sector?

Try booting a livefs and see if the partitions and slices are still there.

Booted with install cd. Partition was there but no slices. No backup of the sector was made... it's ok though, this is not a production system, I am doing this on a test box before I upgrade the production systems. I need the practice.

I am installing 7.1-RELEASE again and going to try the update to 8.1-RELEASE.

Should this be in the testing forum? :e

Thanks for your help.

puzzlediceman said:
Partition was there but no slices.
I counted 1 slice and 5 partitions, not the other way around :e

No backup of the sector was made... it's ok though, this is not a production system, I am doing this on a test box before I upgrade the production systems. I need the practice.
Good idea.

I think mine was a little different too. It's been a while but I remember that disk being a "dangerously dedicated" one. I do remember having to jump through a lot of hoops. Like reverting to a 7.2 kernel while still having the 8.0 base. That was fun...

Ok...I got to the bottom of this.

Reinstalled 7.1-RELEASE, followed the instructions for the upgrade to 8.1-RELEASE and the same thing happened. Here is what I did that gave me a stable system that worked through the upgrade.

at the "root mount error" enter

ufs:/dev/aacd0

which the slice?

this provided me with a # prompt.

I then mounted each of the partitions manually rw

Code:
mount -w /dev/aacd0a /
mount -w /dev/aacd0e /tmp
mount -w /dev/aacd0f /usr
mount -w /dev/aacd0d /var

Edited fstab with the corrected device names acquired from /dev. Old fstab included a s1 between the 0 and letter on each device. (ex: aacd0s1a instead of aacd0a)
And wallah!

Apparently the partition device names in /dev are renamed by the upgrade and there was a mismatch with the old fstab file.

Even though the hint said how to repair this...as a newbie I had no idea how to edit the fstab in the state the system was in. nor did I know where to look.

Hopefully this will help another novice person in the same situation.

Back