jails 3 hosts for several jails, want to sync jails between them for failover purposes

So to replace a mix of old physical hosts and vmware VMs my department is going to use 3 identical FreeBSD hosts (in hardware, iocage pools, and vnet configurations) to run the services in individual jails. This replaces old hardware and gets our services off of a VMware instance that's for clients and depends on some of said services.

The current plan is to build all of the jails on one of the hosts, and copy them to each of the other hosts and run specific jails on each host with the ability to turn up a jail(s) on one of the other hosts in need of failover (hardware replacement, location network failure).

So host A would run jail 1 and 2, B would run 3 and 4, C would run 5 and 6, and if A failed 1 and 2 could be turned up on either B or C depending on the situation (and so on).

Based on reading documentation and discussions online i should be able to do the following:

create jails on host A
then zfs send jail from A to B

user@hostA@:zfs send -Rv storage/iocage/jails/[jailname] | ssh user@hostB 'zfs recieve /storage/iocage/jails/[jailname]'

and change host id of jail from host B

user@hostB: iocage set hostid [HOSTB]

then repeat for each jail, and repeat for host C

Is there anything else I should check before turning up jails on their primary hosts? Is there a good way to automate syncing jail snapshots?

Back