2TB USB Drive g_vfs_done Errors

I have a Western Digital 2TB USB drive. Its format is msdosfs.

My base system and ports are up to date as of today.

Code:
FreeBSD  9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Thu Apr 26 03:00:17 PDT 2012     
user@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Attempts to write to the drive will either work for a few small files and then fail or outright fail immediately. After write failure an endless stream of:

Code:
kernel: g_vfs_done():da1s1[WRITE(offset=-886695100416, length=32768)]error = 5

is generated in /var/log/messages.

I have run smartctl tests on the device and they show:

Code:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

I have used the drive extensively in Windows with no read or write errors and have run the system drive check on the drive multiple times with no errors reported.

Those are general I/O failures, not specific hard disk sector errors (hence why nothing shows in SMART). These errors usually mean there's a failure higher in the stack above the disk itself: disk controller, USB-to-SATA adapter, USB controller in disk pack, USB connector on disk, USB cable, USB connector on computer, USB controller in computer, etc.

I've posted[1] where one can use gcp and/or rsync to write to/from the thumbdrives slower, making their use more reliable. Howsoever [also], if you reformat it to ufs, you can fix it if it breaks with the fsck_ffs -y /dev/da0 also, more easily maybe.
[1] use the forum search maybe.

phoenix said:
Those are general I/O failures, not specific hard disk sector errors (hence why nothing shows in SMART). These errors usually mean there's a failure higher in the stack above the disk itself: disk controller, USB-to-SATA adapter, USB controller in disk pack, USB connector on disk, USB cable, USB connector on computer, USB controller in computer, etc.

Thank you for the replies.

I rebooted the same machine into Windows 7 a short while ago - same cables, same USB port and copied tens of GBs of data to the drive with no problem.

Also I see that any msdosfs drive always reports this when I do a fsck_msdosfs:

Code:
** Phase 1 - Read and Compare FATs
FAT starts with odd byte sequence (f8ffff0ffffffff7)

Back