2009 Laptop running FreeBSD vs. Raspberry Pi Zero running Linux

I thought others would find this interesting. I have come to the conclusion that FreeBSD performs so poorly on this laptop that a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero would run better.

Laptop Specs:
Dual core 2.2 ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 260 with 1GB VRAM with Nvidia driver installed and working
Sandisk SSD
50 watts power usage

Pi Zero Specs:
Single Core 1 ghz
512 MB RAM
Broadcom GPU
Micro SD card
1 watt power usage

Laptop
1. Boot time - boots to the KDE desktop in about 4 minutes
2. Web browsing - has trouble scrolling with a single Amazon tab and is too slow to play any web video
3. Video playback - VLC says it is too slow to play 400x320 resolution videos

Pi Zero
1. Boot time - boots into Linux in about 1 minute
2. Web browsing - can handle 1-3 tabs open in the web browser and can even sometimes play a video in the browser
3. Video playback - unaccelerated video up to 720p and accelerated video at 1080p

I have already built a replacement for this laptop but I feel so sorry for people who have to use a few years old computer to run FreeBSD.

So, you're comparing apples with oranges and are now complaining the oranges aren't green?

I thought others would find this interesting. I have come to the conclusion that FreeBSD performs so poorly on this laptop that a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero would run better.

Laptop Specs:
Dual core 2.2 ghz
4GB RAM
Sandisk SSD
50 watts power usage

Pi Zero Specs:
Single Core 1 ghz
512 MB RAM
Broadcom GPU
Micro SD card
1 watt power usage

Laptop
2. Web browsing - has trouble scrolling with a single Amazon tab and is too slow to play any web video

Pi Zero
2. Web browsing - can handle 1-3 tabs open in the web browser and can even sometimes play a video in the browser
3. Video playback - unaccelerated video up to 720p and accelerated video at 1080p

I have already built a replacement for this laptop but I feel so sorry for people who have to use a few years old computer to run FreeBSD.
Please provide more information. If on laptop you use KDE, on Pi you use Openbox or something like that, the comparision is pointless.

I know that they do optimized very much on the Pi device, when the old device just going to be thrown away, no one invest on it anymore.

I built my workstation four or five years ago and I can beat any of those numbers by several orders of magnitude. I feel sorry for people who don't know the difference.

Umm, Jason_25 , I run FreeBSD-11.1 in a VMWare virtual machine which runs inside a MacBook Pro 2009, 2.5 GHz, Core 2 duo. The VM only uses one core, 5GB RAM and 20GB HD. It runs very well !

Since ~ 1 month, I use it for everything, the only things I still do in OSX are (1) printing, (2) skype, (3) sometimes MS Office.

I reccomend you remove KDE and start using a light window manager. My favourite is WindowMaker but also XFCE is probably fine for the purpose.

One of my machines is a 2008 vintage computer: 2 GB, 2 GHz and it runs just fine with FreeBSD. Four minutes? You have a serious hardware or configuration problem. You should look at your logs, etc.

I thought others would find this interesting. I have come to the conclusion that FreeBSD performs so poorly on this laptop that a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero would run better. [...]

Pi Zero

But can it run Crysis? :p

Laptop Specs:
Dual core 2.2 ghz
4GB RAM
Sandisk SSD
50 watts power usage
Please, be more precise: which CPU? Which laptop?
Laptop
Leaving apart boot time, your problems seem related to something about graphics miscofigured. Are you sure the Nvidia driver is being used?

Laptop Specs:
Dual core 2.2 ghz
4GB RAM
Sandisk SSD
50 watts power usage

Pi Zero Specs:
Single Core 1 ghz
512 MB RAM
Broadcom GPU
Micro SD card
1 watt power usage

Laptop

Pi Zero

This is very strange, I am using (from time to time) an old Dell E6400 laptop from 2008 with 2GB RAM, non-SSD 5400 HDD, also dual core with FreeBSD 11.x or HardenedBSD 11.x and it works very well, videos are played smoothly it starts about a 1 minute and I can browse the Internet without a problem ...

Back